martymetz3

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Registered Products:1

Posted 03 August 2013 - 12:05 PM

Hi,

My POD HD500 is great! The sound is good, and everything seems to be working well, except for the expression pedal. It's really not TOO big of a problem, more of a nuisance. When the pedal (whether a whammy, or wah, or whatever) is up it's fine, but when I push the top down to get a full whammy effect, it wont stay at the +24.0 unless I push down. For instance if I lift my foot off the pedal and leave it pressed down, the octave will drop to like +23.4 or +23.5. So the only way I can get the +24.0 octave sound is if I leave my foot pressed down on the pedal. You don't really notice it with the wah, but with the whammy it sounds pretty bad. Is there anyway to fix this problem? 

Thank you,

Marty

#2 mazuwa

mazuwa

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Registered Products:2

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:20 AM   Best Answer

How about a pedal calibration?

http://line6.com/support/docs/DOC-2223

#3 martymetz3

martymetz3

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:24 PM

YES! It worked! Thank you so much!

#4 chesangma

chesangma

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 23 January 2015 - 08:43 AM

Expression Pedal PROBLEM!

Hi. I  did a factory reset on my POD HD500 and was trying to Calibrate the Pedal. I went thru the procedure of "Pedal Cal" then the "Duty Cycle". that worked fine. When i got to "Scaled Pedal Value" the value remained at "0" (zero) the whole time, on heel or toe position. It didnt move up to 255. Tried a couple of times but doesnt seem to work. 

Could someone please help me out with this? Thank you.

#5 fearuvthedark

fearuvthedark

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts
  • Registered Products:4

Posted 09 February 2015 - 09:17 AM

Expression Pedal PROBLEM!

Hi. I  did a factory reset on my POD HD500 and was trying to Calibrate the Pedal. I went thru the procedure of "Pedal Cal" then the "Duty Cycle". that worked fine. When i got to "Scaled Pedal Value" the value remained at "0" (zero) the whole time, on heel or toe position. It didnt move up to 255. Tried a couple of times but doesnt seem to work. 

Could someone please help me out with this? Thank you.

I'm having the EXACT same issue with my HD500.  If anyone has ANY input on this PLEASE HELP US!!!  Oh yeah, I have a support ticket open for this currently as well.  So if they get back to me before hand I'll post what their reply is.

#6 jptmartins

jptmartins

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Registered Products:2

Posted 24 March 2015 - 03:32 PM

I'm having the EXACT same issue with my HD500.  If anyone has ANY input on this PLEASE HELP US!!!  Oh yeah, I have a support ticket open for this currently as well.  So if they get back to me before hand I'll post what their reply is.

Same for me...

Any news?

#7 Eclipse612

Eclipse612

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 01:19 PM

HI! 

Sorry for resuming this old topic, but I have the exact same problem. The pedal just stopped working as I was editing a patch and since then every time I activate it it's stuck in the "0" position. 

I have tried to re-calibrate and to do a factory reset plus re-calibrate, but to no avail. I set the heel to 0, the toe to 255 and the in the "C" phase of the calibration the values don't move from 0. Does it mean I have to bring my POD for assistance or just pray for something to happen? I can't find an answer on this anywhere.

Thanks in advance for helping!

Stefano

#8 hurghanico

hurghanico

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4024 posts

Posted 16 September 2017 - 04:10 PM

HI! 

Sorry for resuming this old topic, but I have the exact same problem. The pedal just stopped working as I was editing a patch and since then every time I activate it it's stuck in the "0" position. 

I have tried to re-calibrate and to do a factory reset plus re-calibrate, but to no avail. I set the heel to 0, the toe to 255 and the in the "C" phase of the calibration the values don't move from 0. Does it mean I have to bring my POD for assistance or just pray for something to happen? I can't find an answer on this anywhere.

Thanks in advance for helping!

Stefano

before bringing as a last resort your device to the assistance, I suggest to save your patches to your computer, and reflash the last firmware (without keeping the patches when asked during the procedure), then do again the global reset and pedal calibration..

if doing the above things you still have the issue, maybe that the cable that connects the small PCB under the pedal to the main board came loose and needs to be tightened or came off and needs to be re-plugged, but in this case you need to remove the POD bottom panel to see and eventually fix the cables connections (remove only the outer screws and not the ones in the middle)

--------------

PS

make sure you really follow the right instrucions when doing the global reset and pedal calibration:

MANDATORY Global Settings Reset!

Reset the POD HD500X.

On the POD HD500, you *must* reset the global setup options which includes resetting the Setlist names and pedal calibration by:

1. Disconnecting the USB cable connection between HD500 and host computer.

2. Power off the POD HD500.

3. Power on the POD HD500 while holding the LEFT ARROW (<) button while plugging in the power supply to the POD.

If you do not do this, one of the tell-tale symptoms that may surface after a Monkey Flash Memory update is that the HD500 will be stuck in a continuous re-boot/power cycling state (you'll keep seeing the Logo and the unit keeps re-starting itself). Sometimes this may not occur, but a secondary telltale sign that a user has not performed a Global Settings reset is the USB communication between the HD500 and HD500 Edit software will be extremely slow/sluggish.

***PLEASE NOTE: Please also make sure to re-calibrate the onboard expression pedal of the HD500 after performing the Global Settings reset.

POD HD500X/HD500 Pedal Calibration

If the Onboard expression pedal of the POD HD500 does not sweep through parameter values as it normally would, you may need to perform a pedal calibration to reset the functionality of the expression pedal:

Hold the down the RIGHT ARROW button on the 4 Way Nav Pad while powering the unit on, until you see the “Test Mode” screen (Pedal Cal, etc.), and then proceed with the steps below:

• If not already selected, use on the 4 Way Nav Pad to select “Pedal Cal,” as shown above.
  • Press the VIEW button.
  • Set the pedal to the minimum “heel” position, then press the A footswitch to set a value for the Duty Cycle. You’ll see the value set to “100.”
  • Set the pedal to the maximum “toe” position, then press the B footswitch to set a value for the Duty Cycle. Again, you’ll see the value set to “100,” as in step 3.
  • Press the C footswitch to prepare for automatic selection of the Scaled Pedal Value and move the pedal from min. to max. You should see the Scaled Pedal Values read “0” at the heel position and “255” and the toe position. If you get values other than 0 and 255, power off and repeat these steps, starting at step 1.
  • Press the D footswitch to save the settings. You’ll be returned to the Test Mode screen and the Pedal Cal item will show a “P” to indicated that the pedal calibration is complete! Power your device off and back on again to start using it.

***Please Note: Re-calibration of the POD HD500's expression pedal is necessary after performing a Global Settings reset

#9 Eclipse612

Eclipse612

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 02:32 AM

Hi again,

I tried all of the above and no luck...the pedal seems well connected to the main board and I even tried to clean up the metal sensor in the small pedal board on the side to make sure that no dust was affecting the coupling between pedal and sensor.

The sensor had a small dent in the middle, which I assume is normal and due to the pressure I apply when switching between exp1 and exp2. Correct?

I guess assistance is my only option at this point...

#10 hurghanico

hurghanico

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4024 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 03:22 AM

Hi again,

I tried all of the above and no luck...the pedal seems well connected to the main board and I even tried to clean up the metal sensor in the small pedal board on the side to make sure that no dust was affecting the coupling between pedal and sensor.

The sensor had a small dent in the middle, which I assume is normal and due to the pressure I apply when switching between exp1 and exp2. Correct?

I guess assistance is my only option at this point...

the small dent in the middle of the toe switch should be normal, I guess..

----------

Also try plugging in and disconnecting repeatedly a jack in the Pedal 2 socket, which I think has a kind of internal switch internally that affects the way the pedal works, who knows, maybe it's a little malfunctioning

#11 Eclipse612

Eclipse612

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 05:54 AM

I think you're on to something! If I plug and unplug my guitar jack in the pedal 2 slot, it sometimes (like 1 out of 3 times) makes the pedal switch from exp2 to exp1 and jumps the volume control from 0% to 100%. Still no change when I go to the calbration though. I will continue experimenting, in the meantime if you have any suggestions please feel free to share!

#12 hurghanico

hurghanico

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4024 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 06:27 AM

If I plug and unplug my guitar jack in the pedal 2 slot, it sometimes (like 1 out of 3 times) makes the pedal switch from exp2 to exp1 and jumps the volume control from 0% to 100%.

external expression pedals typically use TRS jack cables (same used for stereo cables) different than those used for guitars, which are simple TS, and would not be detected correctly by the Pedal 2 socket..

normally as soon as you plug a TRS jack into the Pedal 2 socket, the onboard pedal becomes EXP 1 (red led lit) and the external pedal (if any) becomes EXP 2 (green led)..

if you disconnect the TRS jack connected to the Pedal 2, the onboard pedal doesn't revert back to EXP 2 (green) automatically..

if your device doesn't behave like said above here, then probably there is some problem with the Pedal 2 socket..

it would be interesting to see if an external expression pedal would work as expected as EXP 2

#13 Eclipse612

Eclipse612

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 08:24 AM

I see. I have no external pedals but I tried with my headphones cable which is stereo. I didn't notice any particular differences compared to using the mono guitar cable. I assume then that setting the volume to 100% is some sort of default value when there is no pedal attached at the other end of the pedal 2 connection that sends the right info.

It is a bit weird that the exp2 to exp1 switch doesn't happen all the time when connecting the cable, but it also might be due to the fact that I'm not connecting a real pedal.

I also tried to bring the pod where I bought it but they said since it's out of warranty it's better if I contact Line 6 support directly. They also referred me to the "best amp doctor in town" (a big town!) but when he heard it was a POD and what the symptom was he said I should just contact Line 6.

I'm a little pissed off as the pedalboard never left my apartment and is in perfect condition, so this is probably a factory fault that shows up just after the end of warranty, not really a sign of well made products.

#14 hurghanico

hurghanico

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4024 posts

Posted 17 September 2017 - 03:12 PM

I'm a little pissed off as the pedalboard never left my apartment and is in perfect condition, so this is probably a factory fault that shows up just after the end of warranty, not really a sign of well made products.

if they were products that could last forever, they would have a life guarantee ... and they would cost more..

what has been promised/guaranteed by the vendor has been kept ..

I also had some problems (worn encoders, switches, etc.) after the warranty period, and I had to choose whether to repair them or buy a new device.

in the end I agreed on the repair, like I would do with my guitars, scooter or car, etc. for their maintenance

#15 Eclipse612

Eclipse612

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 12:31 AM

if they were products that could last forever, they would have a life guarantee ... and they would cost more..

what has been promised/guaranteed by the vendor has been kept ..

I also had some problems (worn encoders, switches, etc.) after the warranty period, and I had to choose whether to repair them or buy a new device.

in the end I agreed on the repair, like I would do with my guitars, scooter or car, etc. for their maintenance

Well technically you are right. In reality, if you advice someone to spend 500 bucks on a device that will break after 2 years of very lightweight use, they would probably not buy it. I'm sure it´s not only me that expects a product to last more than their warranty time.  

I have also owned a POD 2.0, a POD XT Live and a POD X3 Live. I used them much more and they never gave me trouble. Based on the stuff I found here on the forums it looks like the HD series has in general given more issues than previous versions.

#16 hurghanico

hurghanico

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4024 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:30 AM

Well technically you are right. In reality, if you advice someone to spend 500 bucks on a device that will break after 2 years of very lightweight use, they would probably not buy it. I'm sure it´s not only me that expects a product to last more than their warranty time.  

I have also owned a POD 2.0, a POD XT Live and a POD X3 Live. I used them much more and they never gave me trouble. Based on the stuff I found here on the forums it looks like the HD series has in general given more issues than previous versions.

I also owned the first bean, then the XT version, and then 2 XTL..

had no problems at all with the first 2 beans, but the first XTL at one point broke internally in a such a way (some electronic chips gone I guess) that it wasn't worth to repair it.. at the time was a better option for me to buy another second hand device, as I did.. that said I was incredibly able to sell the declared broken unit for a little money (well, it was broken but still producing sounds somewhat)..

then I found a second hand in mint conditions HD500 and after some bargaining I bought it for around half the money IIRC of a new one, and it served me well without issues for maybe 2 years (I don't remember exactly), then taking into account that I used the unit a lot manually (not much through the Editor) I started to have some problems with some of the moveable parts like the encoders under the LCD and some switches..

I've been able to repair some things by myself, and for others I paid a pro tech..

if I went back, I would probably do the same things again..

I think that the quality of the components of all products/brands staying in certain price range is about the same, you as a user can be lucky and never have a issue, or at one point you can have little issues which can be solved with not too much money/efforts, or you can suddenly find yourself with a unit to throw in the trash

#17 Eclipse612

Eclipse612

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 03:42 AM

I guess you're right, luck also plays a big part! 

Anyway, forgot to say thanks a lot for all your advice! I have now found a local Yamaha repair center (I hand't noticed that Line 6 was bought by Yamaha :-)) and they offered to take a look at it before taking it in for official service, so I'll see what they say.

#18 hurghanico

hurghanico

Guru

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4024 posts

Posted 18 September 2017 - 04:22 AM

I guess you're right, luck also plays a big part! 

Anyway, forgot to say thanks a lot for all your advice! I have now found a local Yamaha repair center (I hand't noticed that Line 6 was bought by Yamaha :-)) and they offered to take a look at it before taking it in for official service, so I'll see what they say.

you're welcome!..

good luck!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: whammy, pedal, pod hd, 500, expression, wah