Photo

Clean & Crunch Tone - best of both worlds?

clean crunch tone models warm blackface overdrive dt25 farty double

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 jamesnlcc1

jamesnlcc1

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Registered Products:2

Posted 02 February 2016 - 02:16 PM

Hey friends!

I've restarted that epic quest for the right tone.  Previously I had loved the AC30, particularly for its wonderful overdrive (I'd use a boost/compressor for juice, no overdrive pedal needed), but its clean tone was not warm enough.

So I experimented and fell in love with the BF-Double VIB(Fender twin reverb).  Rich, warm tone yet with clarity, especially through the DT-25 amp!  However, its overdrive is farty and bloated (name that quote).  

I started experimenting with overdrive pedals but nothing compares to the AC30's natural drive tone.

Anyone have any suggestions?  Alternative amp models with a warm, full clean and a warm but tight, crunchy overdrive?  Distortion pedals that actually sound good (not fuzzy or farty)?  

Extra notes:  For an overdrive, I hate it when notes seem to fight each other and it gets all buzz-sawey or farty / indistinct.  

My Rig:

Fender Strat American Deluxe (with a Tele bridge pickup)

HD500

DT-25 Amp

#2 jamesnlcc1

jamesnlcc1

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 02 February 2016 - 03:01 PM

True, but when I try Dual Amp Mode, I feel I lose the best qualities of both :wacko:, particularly the warmth of the clean tone.  I'm new to dual amps, and I'm going into one DT-25 amp, so it's confusing how to setup two amps correctly with it.  I might be missing something. Also, I lose a lot of DSP using two amps, which makes that solution prohibitive.

Then again, if I can fine a way to get the amp to replicate that warm clean tone on its own (channel "B"?), maybe I could use dual amp mode with the AC30 on one side and the "disabled" model on the other, then just pan between them...

So... anyone have DT-25 warm, clean tone advice?

#3 brue58ski

brue58ski

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1430 posts
  • Registered Products:13

Posted 04 February 2016 - 03:02 PM

Check out Meambobbo's HD guide. There is a section called Cabs and mics. In it there is a section called Dual Cabs. In that there is a section called Phase Correction. He has discovered some interesting things about using dual amps. Just search for Meambobbo.

#4 spaceatl

spaceatl

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 5330 posts
  • Registered Products:6

Posted 05 February 2016 - 11:47 AM

Soldano Clean is one of my favs...I have a DT50 and DT25...The AC30 model sounds better on the DT50....Soldano Clean sounds great on both...I have actually been using the JC120 pre quite a bit lately and on the DT25, that JC120 model sounds quite good to me...

#5 DunedinDragon

DunedinDragon

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1299 posts
  • LocationDunedin, FL
  • Registered Products:3

Posted 05 February 2016 - 01:14 PM

I'll go along with the Soldano Clean.  I used to use the Twin for my clean stuff, but I've since started using the Soldano.  It still has that Twin sparkle but with lot more body to it.  I haven't used the drive much on it as I typically depend on effects pedals for most of that.

#6 jamesnlcc1

jamesnlcc1

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 01:29 PM

OK, Soldano sounds promising, thanks!

Any particular EQ or other settings you use for it?  Particularly looking for warmth.  :)

#7 jamesnlcc1

jamesnlcc1

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 01:53 PM

Thanks, Brue58ski, but Meambobbo's HD guide doesn't really address interfacing with the DT-25, and none of the advice really answered the question of why my BFx2 VIB clean amp goes from warm and vibrant to boxy and sterile the moment I enable dual amps, BEFORE the second amp is even selected. :P

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: clean, crunch, tone, models, warm, blackface, overdrive, dt25, farty, double