Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dual Amp Mode tips?

jamesnlcc1

Hi friends!

I've got an HD500 running into one DT25 combo amp.

Recently fell in love with the BF-Double VIB(Fender twin reverb).  Rich, warm clean tone yet with clarity, especially through the DT-25 amp!  However, its overdrive is farty and bloated (name that quote)!  I haven't found a setting or overdrive pedal to fix this.

I've always loved the AC30 overdrive - tight, warm, not farty or fuzzy, but the clean is a bit... sterile.  I want the warm clean of the BFx2 but the tight crunchy overdrive of the AC30!  

I considered using a dual amp mode, but it's confusing which amp is controlling the actual DT25 wiring, and I felt I just got the worst of both worlds.  My warm, clean tone from the BFx2 was gone.

I welcome any advice for improvements, whether they be the perfect adjustments to the BF-Double to fix the farty overdrive, advice for dual amps with one DT-25, the perfect overdrive pedal (with settings), an alternative to the BFx2 model, or even ditching the HD500 amp models with the perfect DT-25 settings, etc...

Thanks!!! 

Extra notes:

For an overdrive, I hate it when notes seem to fight each other and it gets all buzz-sawey or farty / indistinct.  Looking for more of a Brit crunch, perhaps some U2 like tone (who also uses an AC30).

My Rig:

Fender Strat American Deluxe (with a Tele bridge pickup)

HD500

DT-25 Amp

• 3 weeks later...

Hi There,

If you haven't already, I would take a look at the mix after both amps in the HD (the little mixer after the merge) and ensure amp A and B is both equal output.

As for my tips on more of an Edge tone I would recommend no overdrive, but a Compressor, and use the AC30 for all your gain. Much like what he does.  If you're looking for solo boost, something like an 808, or tube OD -set the level all the way up, yet the gain at 5% or so, depending on how much gain you want. 

Hi friends!

I've got an HD500 running into one DT25 combo amp.

I welcome any advice for improvements, whether they be the perfect adjustments to the BF-Double to fix the farty overdrive, advice for dual amps with one DT-25, the perfect overdrive pedal (with settings), an alternative to the BFx2 model, or even ditching the HD500 amp models with the perfect DT-25 settings, etc...

Thanks!!! 

I'm using the same rig you are, and am also finding myself using the twin model more and more, but can't get good over-driven lead tones out of it.  Have you tried the solo 6?  I believe the hottest version of the 3 solo models is "crunch," and it rocks!  I love this amp, and kick it in for leads quite often--it has a ballsy clarity to it. Because it uses voice I, it has many of the characteristics of the Fender models, so it might blend well with the BF twin in dual amp mode (also voice I). 

Geez--now that I think about it, that actually sounds really sweet!!!  I may have to try this dual amp mode thing myself!  (maybe put the stomp boxes in front of the solo to put it on top for the <ahem> solos...)