Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Impedence Question - Spider IV 150

bluebluetones

Hi everyone!

I have owned a Spider IV 150 combo since it was introduced, and occasionally I like to run it into a stereo 8 ohm 4 x 12 cabinet. (2 inputs on the cab, 8 ohms each)

Recently I picked up a used cab that has one of the speakers blown.  The 4 speakers inside are 4 ohms each.  

Therefore, I know that each pair of speakers are wired in "series" so that each side of the cab is 8ohms. (4 ohm speaker + 4 ohm speaker in series = 8 ohms)

The only replacement speaker I have at the moment is an 8 ohm speaker.  If I replace the blown speaker in the cab with my spare 8 ohm speaker I will have one side of the cab at 12 ohms.  (4 ohm speaker + 8 ohm speaker in series = 12 ohms)

Any issues running the Spider IV 150 combo with one output going to 8 ohms and the other output going to 12 ohms?  I assume a higher ohms rating will be no problem, but I wanted to ask first...

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the reply...any issue with the amplifier connecting it like this?  I wonder...

I did think about the volume difference, and I do know that different speakers have different efficiency!  

Currently, my one stereo side of the speaker cabinet has two Jensen JCH 12/70's (4 ohms each wired as 8 ohms).   Those two speakers together do not sounds as loud as my single 8 ohm Celestion 70/80 on the other side.

Go figure!

That's what I am currently doing - and then I began to think about adding the one 4 ohm speaker to the one 8 ohm speaker.

I guess psychologically I prefer the thought of all 4 speakers performing!  Trying to find a single 4 ohm speaker isn't the most cost-friendly thing to do also -  around here in Canada, most after-market speakers are approx $100 new to start and rapidly increase in cost from there.  

I'll keep my search up, but if anyone has any answers about using a 12 ohm load on the Spider IV, it would be appreciated.