Photo

Pitch Question

whammy pitch octave noise

Best Answer mralmostpopular , 04 August 2013 - 02:53 PM

The pitch effects on the HD500 are not polyphonic, meaning that they aren't really designed to handle chords. They're designed to pitch shift single notes. Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 martymetz3

martymetz3

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:34 PM

Hi,

One other minor thing I notice with my HD500 is when I have a high pitch shift (More than +12.0), I notice if I play a single not it sounds fine, but if I combine notes together or have one ringing then pluck another one or play a whole chord, sometimes it tends to make the sound "pixelated or digital." I don't know if the example of the sound I provide makes sense. Basically if I have a high octave setting and play more than one note, it tends to sound bad haha. Like I said, minor problem, not a big deal.

Thank you,

Marty

PS) You guys are the best!! Thanks for all the help!

#2 partytrain

partytrain

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 25 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:51 PM

That's exactly how my digitech Whammy pedal handles multiple notes up high.

#3 mralmostpopular

mralmostpopular

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 02:53 PM   Best Answer

The pitch effects on the HD500 are not polyphonic, meaning that they aren't really designed to handle chords. They're designed to pitch shift single notes.

#4 martymetz3

martymetz3

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 03:06 PM

Alright that's what I thought. It makes sense because the more notes I plucked the weirder the sound. Thanks so much guys! I appreciate it!

#5 Wallirec

Wallirec

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 10:08 PM

I was shocked when I found out about this feature Pod HD.
Line6 did not advertise that octaver and pitch one voice.

#6 tochiro

tochiro

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 231 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:47 PM

Now that the HD500X has more power, it'd be nice to have a polyphonic pitch shifter... :)

#7 Wallirec

Wallirec

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 04 August 2013 - 11:54 PM

Now that the HD500X has more power, it'd be nice to have a polyphonic pitch shifter... :)

This will require less resources than one voice.
Much less!

#8 gunpointmetal

gunpointmetal

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:40 AM

This will require less resources than one voice.
Much less!

how would a polyphonic pitch shifter use less resources? it would probably eat up the extra available on X by being polyphonic. Its pretty hard to find a true polyphonic pitch shifter in a $500 modeler....some of the good polyphonic single pedals are over half of that price.

#9 Wallirec

Wallirec

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 12:13 PM

emulate the characterization DigiTech Whammy or EBS OctaBass much more difficult than just divide the frequency.

#10 gunpointmetal

gunpointmetal

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 422 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 01:16 PM

not following ya here?

#11 shorehamsound

shorehamsound

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 13 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:31 AM

Try working "inside the box", so to speak.  Yes, its regretable that one can't play a chord and have the harmonizer yield a full chord.  Instead, try building a patch with two octaves (one +12, and one -12) and blend with the original.  I've made many "POG" type sounds with the PODHd500 that were very close to Joe Satriani's "Super Colossal".  Maybe add a little octoverb and you'll have a real thick sound.

#12 mralmostpopular

mralmostpopular

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 01:21 PM

Try working "inside the box", so to speak.  Yes, its regretable that one can't play a chord and have the harmonizer yield a full chord.  Instead, try building a patch with two octaves (one +12, and one -12) and blend with the original.  I've made many "POG" type sounds with the PODHd500 that were very close to Joe Satriani's "Super Colossal".  Maybe add a little octoverb and you'll have a real thick sound.

I agree. The key is the mix control. I think I have mine set around 40% on each. Throw on some nice reverb/delay combos and you have something workable. It would be nice to have POG emulation, but I'm not sure I believe we'll see that anytime soon. I would be quite surprised.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: whammy, pitch, octave, noise

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users