Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Eq setting experiment

RRMark

More for the learners like me.

I have found a lot of the fizz energy is lower down the frequency spectrum than the very highs. Using hi cut all the way down to remove the fizz, particularly on high gain presets, takes out the very high frequencies where there isn't a lot of energy anyway, losing detail and making the tone a bit muddy. Not a straight fix, this experiment is helping me to get my head around the numbers and maybe useful to others.

Using a high gain preset, e.g. '06D Line6 Elektrik' has a space, add the 10 Band Graphic Eq block just before the reverb block, after the y-merge from the speaker cabs. Go to page 2 of the eq settings and dial 16kHz all the way down, to my admittedly gig beaten ears the sound is barely affected. Push the 16kHz knob to reset to 0dB. Now try the same with the 4kHz, to me this is nearer where a lot of the nastiness!? is going on. I think of it as that ripping a sheet of paper sound. Reset, then try the 8kHz knob. I quite like 4kHz -7dB with 2kHz +2dB and everything else flat.

Using this i am beginning to get a better handle on how the different frequency numbers actually sound and am transfering my findings to the parametric eq for a wider bandwidth. Still a long way to go, I am sure it will vary from amp to amp, but as a general fix starting point suggestion... In the scenario above replace 10 Band Graphic eq with the Parametric eq, all default settings unchanged except: Hi Freq 5.5kHz, High Q 0.3, Hi Gain -5.0dB. Of course this will vary and depend on personal taste, the guitar used and the monitoring system.

Loving this forum, I am learning a lot from some very insightful generous contributors and enjoying the polite helpful brotherhood.

I've mentioned this before -- I found the harshness is due to my PA/Monitor speaker I use for stage volume was full range, but not flat response. The patches (even the demo patches) sounded good in the headphones, but not good through the speaker. Turns out the PA speaker has a midrange - vocal response "hump". I used the global EQ to find it and found I needed to cut about 8 dB at 3 kHz, and used a Q value of about 1.7 to get it to sound like the headphones.

Now this is for my speaker, and I believe it could be different frequency and magic dB level cut for other brands & models. Once I did that, the harsh fizzy tones were vastly reduced, and I'm a happy camper - my JTV's sound much better, too. Side note - to help the JTV models out further, I found the Helix speaker & mic model and placement helps tons as well. They are a lot more natural sounding with the Global EQ and Helix amp/speaker/mic model tweaks I've done...

Ideally, a spectrum analyzer could be used for the EQ speaker adjustment, but I just tweaked and compared to what I wanted. I made no other changes in low cut, low frequency, high frequency or high cut. I also assigned the Global EQ only to my 1/4" output line level send to my stage amplifier for that speaker. I do not have any EQ on the mic-level XLR send(s) to the FOH. So far the sound folks love the sound of my send to them.

Dave

Everyone hears offending frequencies differently, but here's a fairly common trick:

1. Add an EQ > Parametric block after the cab.
  2. Turn Page 2 > Knob 3 (High Gain) all the way up to +12.0dB. Things will sound horrible.
  3. Sweep Knob 1 (High Freq) up and down until things sound really horrible. You're now boosting the specific frequencies we're trying to remove.
  4. Press Knob 3 (Turn Gain) to return it to 0.0dB and then keep turning it lower until the offending frequencies begin to disappear.

Optional: Turn Knob 2 (High Q) down for a smoother cut; turn it up (to 5.0 ~ 8.0) for a more surgical notch that affects fewer adjacent frequencies.

• Upvote 4

Everyone hears offending frequencies differently, but here's a fairly common trick:

1. Add an EQ > Parametric block after the cab.
  2. Turn Page 2 > Knob 3 (High Gain) all the way up to +12.0dB. Things will sound horrible.
  3. Sweep Knob 1 (High Freq) up and down until things sound really horrible. You're now boosting the specific frequencies we're trying to remove.
  4. Press Knob 3 (Turn Gain) to return it to 0.0dB and then keep turning it lower until the offending frequencies begin to disappear.

Optional: Turn Knob 2 (High Q) down for a smoother cut; turn it up (to 5.0 ~ 8.0) for a more surgical notch that affects fewer adjacent frequencies.

Definitely going to have to try this.

• 1 year later...
  1. You're now boosting the specific frequencies we're trying to remove.

Exactly.This is how I was taught to mix and EQ. 

I wish HELIX had a graphic EQ more like Waves Q10 

And a C4 compressor while I'm at it. lol VST integration would be insanely awesome 

DI. I used that method but always stayed above about 7kHz. Can't wait to try the 4kHz area. The vocal response hump EQ resonates with me. I think that might be an issue when I'm live. Thank's to everyone.

I know this may appear a bit strange, but...

Many years ago I spent some time working with a roadie who constantly complained about hearing an annoying fizziness which eventually we figured out was located around the 7kHz area. Seems he had been working for years with various loud, loud, loud bands using crazy Sound Pressure Levels and the 7kHz thing actually turned out to be due to tinnitus. It's a clinical fact, you can look it up.

Something to bear in mind guys.

I know this may appear a bit strange, but...

Many years ago I spent some time working with a roadie who constantly complained about hearing an annoying fizziness which eventually we figured out was located around the 7kHz area. Seems he had been working for years with various loud, loud, loud bands using crazy Sound Pressure Levels and the 7kHz thing actually turned out to be due to tinnitus. It's a clinical fact, you can look it up.

Something to bear in mind guys.

Horrors!! I was really hoping it was due to a few of my worst designed presets. You mean the fact that I hear the fizz even when I am walking alone in the woods should be a clue that it is not caused by my Helix?   :D

Horrors!! I was really hoping it was due to a few of my worst designed presets. You mean the fact that I hear the fizz even when I am walking alone in the woods should be a clue that it is not caused by my Helix? :D

Ha ha ha. That's very close to the old saying - "If a man is out walking in the woods, and there isn't a woman there to hear him, is he still wrong? ðŸ˜

Seriously though, the frequency sweeping "trick" is a very old, tried and tested method of isolating the the offending signal. Although, this digital fizz discussion has gone on for a long time. IIRC similar threads were cropping up, many years back, on the Avid Eleven Rack boards, even to the point of checking out some of the same guitar stems mentioned in earlier threads on here (Chad Boston's Fizz video). Six years later we are all going over the same ground, check this:

http://www.harmonycentral.com/articles/how-to-make-amp-sims-sound-more-analog

Yes, I just checked and the posts are still there about digital fizz being inherent in modelling equipment.

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?t=308564

Even has a smarta$$ quip about being able to remove the tinnitus effect with a PEQ? ðŸ˜