Photo

Hd500 And Flextone Iii

flextone iii

Best Answer spaceatl , 06 August 2013 - 06:04 AM

I have a Flextone III XL and use it with my HD Desktop for rehearsals....The tones I use are setup for using DT50, DT25, SVs....I generally use two amps...One set Class A and an SV (AB)...My patches are certainly not optimized for the Flexy as I use PRE models...However, for rehearsals I change the POD to Combo Front and cut a good amount of 400-600 hz and it translates pretty well to what the tube amps sound like...I am thinking that I will probably close off the back of the Flexy as that is the real problem with that amp...the back is way too open...Still a great amp...

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ejones1989

ejones1989

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 05 August 2013 - 10:59 AM

I'm going to purchase the HD500X .. and have been noodling on what i want to run it through. DT25 .. seems great. Also seems like running the 500x through the LT2 is also a nice approach (which I really like.)  This issue i have is ... i have a flextone III which has been a nice amp for me over the years -- with some sonic limitations.

If i run the HD500 through the Flextone III--- 

1. what would be the best setting for the FIII? What would provide the best FRFR?

2. Some of the effects on the FIII are solid (delay, chorus, wah) -- are there any downsides to using the FIII's effects?

3. Are there any downsides to this approach overall?

thanks!!!

E

#2 arislaf

arislaf

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1025 posts
  • LocationGreece

Posted 05 August 2013 - 03:27 PM

I have the equipment that you discribe above (flextone 3 + HD500) And is an awesome combination!

Now about:

1. Best Seting is to use full model of the HD, with the 4cm, and connect the flextone to your computer (via midi) use the line 6 edit on flextone and set it to tuner.That way you will use the speakers of the amp as speakers without any simulation of power amp, same like a FRFR,

2. Not any downsides.

3. It is awesome aproach, worthy, and onether thing you can do is to use the 4cm, pre or full model on the HD, and a model on your flextone!You can discover some great new tones you never imagine!

P.s. Try the full amp plexi 45 from your pod with the ac15 of you flextone. You will  remember me ;)

#3 spaceatl

spaceatl

Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 4660 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:04 AM   Best Answer

I have a Flextone III XL and use it with my HD Desktop for rehearsals....The tones I use are setup for using DT50, DT25, SVs....I generally use two amps...One set Class A and an SV (AB)...My patches are certainly not optimized for the Flexy as I use PRE models...However, for rehearsals I change the POD to Combo Front and cut a good amount of 400-600 hz and it translates pretty well to what the tube amps sound like...I am thinking that I will probably close off the back of the Flexy as that is the real problem with that amp...the back is way too open...Still a great amp...

#4 ejones1989

ejones1989

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:18 AM

Outstanding Advice arislaf and spaceatl! Much appreciated. 

spaceatl - if you close off the back of the FlexIII let me know --- would love to do the same and follow your lead.

#5 spaceatl

spaceatl

Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 4660 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:01 AM

You are most welcome. Really great to hear that there are some Flexy users still out there...

Not really sure what I am going to do but I usually post any mods I do...I would not be the first to close off the back of a Flexy...I think there are some posts in the old forum archive on that...Several years ago that was all the rage. I went a slightly different route and modified mine to support an added 212 cab and keep the internal speakers on...I don't drag the cab around for it anymore...So one thought is to load it with Jenson Jet Tornados like my other amps (4 lbs) and close the back....But I might just make a head box for it and use a cab I already have...still on the fence on that one...

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: flextone iii

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users