Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Bad Rivet versus good Rivet

Indianrock2020

HD500x with vintage pack.  I've created patches with this Jazz Rivet ( Roland Jazz Chorus ) amp model that sound good and others that just have no volume and sometimes distort with nearly the same setup as the good patch.

Almost all of my patches these days are dual amp, dual cab -- and in this case they're both Jazz Rivet with the Jazz rivet speaker cab and same microphone.

Typically Noise Gate to Red Compressor to dual amps to mixer to delay to reverb to volume pedal.  For these clean patches I don't even add an overdrive.

When a patch with this amp decides to sound bad, removing one of the two amps doesn't help.

I've been trying compressors and have pushed the mixer as high as +7 but haven't tried using EQs to boost output.   Have you found any particular speaker cabs or mics that help this amp?   Seems like I noticed something similar with the new Vox AC models like the A30 Fawn Nrm  and   A30 Fawn Brt.  Not odd distortion but just low output.   The regular AC 30 model doesn't suffer from this as far as I've noticed.    I use a different patch for every song so getting the signal level to the mixer similar is important.

I absolutely love the Jazz Rivet and the Jazz Rivet cab from the vintage pack for jazz, R&B, funk, and clean BB King style blues.  I use it quite a bit for those types of songs in our songlist and each song has it's own patch (I don't re-use a patch from one song to another, each one is slightly customized).  It can be a bit light on volume, but no worse than some of the other amp models.  I'd say it's pretty easily equalized with either mixer volume or Studio EQ at the end of the signal chain.

I only use a single signal path in my patches with the Jazz Rivet and I would suggest you might have an out-of-phase issue if you hadn't mentioned removing the dual path and it not fixing the issue.  The rest of your setup sounds pretty standard although I rarely use compression on mine and if I do it's something very simple like the Vetta Comp for funk style stuff, but I don't use it to boost volume...just light compression on the guitar.

One thing you might try is rather than create the patch from scratch, take one of your good patches and copy it to a new slot and make your modifications to that patch.  That way you could better identify what is introducing the difference in the behavior.

• Upvote 1

Thanks for the feedback...  One other thought came to me.  On the other patches which typically use dual AC 30 TB or dual Marshalls etc I've been setting the channel volume on the amps all the way up, the "master" amp parameter all the way up, the mixer usually 2-4 db up, a compressor like the red comp near the front of the chain with 50-70% on the level and a volume pedal as the last effect in the chain set to min 70% and max 100%. (almost always in the full up 70% position)  Amp drive is usually from 30-50% and for what I play I rarely need to kick on an overdrive.  

I'm thinking that when I use an amp model with less output it can't keep up with the settings on these other patches. So I could back the channel volume on the Vox/Marshall patches down to 50% which just means the sound guy will have to boost the gain on my channel.

The real Rivet has two 60 watt amps so its not clear to me why it should be "quieter" than dual AC30 or dual Marshall Brit J-45s.

As far as cabs and mics, if I'm not sure I use identical cabs/mics for the two amps to avoid phasing.  Otherwise I may pick a combination MeAmBobbo has verified    http://foobazaar.com/podhd/toneGuide/cabsMics#dualCab-faves

Indianrock

I can get a clean, reasonably loud tone from this dual amp setup:

/JR A - Vetta Juice -\

Noise gate - - Mixer

\JR B - Vetta Juice -/

Where:

Impedance = 22K

Noise gate = default

Amps = default *except* Master Volume at 50% and Channel Volume at 45% for both

Vetta Juice = Amount 0% Level 100%

Mixer = Path A and Path B: Level 12dB Pan Centre

Possibly the way forward would be to do as you suggest and dial back the other patches until they level with the JR patch(es).

• Upvote 2

Sorry about the formatting stuff-up. Perhaps this will work better:

/JR A - Vetta Juice -\

Noise gate -                                 - Mixer
                   \JR B - Vetta Juice -/

• Upvote 1