Photo

Can The Stagesource System Really Replace My "old School" Rig?

Best Answer brianj402002 , 01 October 2013 - 02:50 PM

Well..I can honestly answer my own question now of "Can The Stagesource System Really Replace My "old School" Rig?" It has! Without a doubt! I am completely satisfied with this gear...more than satisfied actually...

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
126 replies to this topic

#61 brianj402002

brianj402002

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationSt. John's

Posted 13 August 2013 - 02:23 AM

Thanks litesnsirens...I can't wait to try it out with the system...

#62 Digital-sound

Digital-sound

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:51 AM

If funds allow, this old fogey would always rather have the option of just one "extra" mixer that would allow the show to go on (albeit with reduced facilities) in the (admittedly unlikely) event of a main mixer's "non arrival" or "melt down".

Also, there always seem to be those solo or duo gigs that crop up at "short notice", where it can be really handy to load just one box with a couple of mics, their stands and a few other "bits and pieces".

Having the ability to cover two smaller gigs simultaneously is also no bad thing, I reckon.

I didn't see this.  We posted nearly at the same time.  But what a good idea.  I pack around a small mixer now, so that if my board did fail, I could always at least get the vocals through the mains, and the show can go on.  Adjust stage volume and we are good (in a "pub" or smaller venue no problem).  I think I will also purchase tow of the L3t's.  Then the mixers will not be so "redundant", but actual back ups!  And will the Link6 technology work from speaker to speaker as well?  (this folk likes that stroke!)

I had another question as well.  As I approach my actual trial weekend (August 24).  Most speakers specifications show a "peak" wattage and a "continuous" wattage.  Generally, it seems "peak" is twice the "continuous".  The Line6 speakers only show "peak".  Is it safe to assume that the "continuous" is half of that?  So the approximate 1450watt "peak" L3t s actually closer to 725 watt "continuous"?

#63 litesnsirens

litesnsirens

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:09 AM

I wouldn't even be able to guess what the continual wattage rating is, but I can answer that, yes, the line 6 link works from speaker to speaker.  I believe that if you have all the channels of the built in mixers set to mono, you can plug into the various channels of the mixers on different speakers and the sound from each channel will go to all speakers.  So two speakers gives you a 4 channel mixer, not including the RCA inputs on the back of each speaker.  I'm thinking you could wire up two L3t two L2t (for monitors) and two L3s using Line 6 Link and you would have 8 channels, I've experimented with three L3t which gave me six channels.  The only thing I'm not sure of is crossover points.  I'll have to look into that and see if via Line 6 link the L3s sets the crossover points for any speaker on line and if that changes depending on if you have a speaker in monitor mode vs reference PA mode  Actually in this setup depending on the club I might be inclined to use the L2t as mains with the L3s and the L3t as monitors so there is better bass reference for the monitors.

#64 Digital-sound

Digital-sound

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:49 AM

Actually, probably not much sense answering my question about power.  I have very recently just learned quite a bit about ``ratings``.  Not a lot of useful information between companies.  I knew this before, but it was ``driven home`` just now.  Still comes down to the actual test and how I like them.  Like I mentioned, I will be able to try these out over a month, in about 4 different situations.

#65 jaminjimlp

jaminjimlp

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 13 August 2013 - 04:54 PM

This kind of interesting stuff here about the use of the on board inputs, there is a link to the page below...

file_r15718.jpeg

http://line6.com/sta...e-l3t/resources

May you be blessed and our Lord Jesus keep you!!!

#66 Digital-sound

Digital-sound

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 07:50 PM

Well, they are ordered! Should be here next week. My local store didn't have any in stock, but, they do offer them in rentals, just don't rent any. So they are getting them in for me, so I can test them out! (I would like to say it pays to spend thousands in a store over the years......but it likely still costs more than it pays!). I went with two of the L3t's. They are only $30CAD more here! Would be silly not to spend the $60 extra!

Thanks for starting this thread brianj402002......I think! I am really looking forward to it. I didn't get any monitors. I might wait a year and see what else comes out in the Line6 "Live Sound" department.

#67 brianj402002

brianj402002

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationSt. John's

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:46 AM

Just a little tip...Canadian prices on this gear is going up...Long & Mcquade were the first...luckily I got a price match quote for the original pricing...

#68 litesnsirens

litesnsirens

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 03:54 PM

no way... I better get my second L3s ordered tomorrow

#69 Digital-sound

Digital-sound

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 04:39 PM

I noticed that. I will bring it up. I haven't paid for them yet. Or even put a deposit. The price from long and McQuade is $1279 for the L3s and $1079 for the L3t. At LA music, online, they are all $1039. Plus $220 shipping. I will check some others but will also expect the price to be matched. Thanks for that.

#70 litesnsirens

litesnsirens

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:48 AM

I just ordered my second L3s.  I know it's only $40 bucks higher than before ... but I was planning on getting one soon anyway... so I bit the bullet.

#71 Digital-sound

Digital-sound

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 11:10 AM

Well, I haven't received my speakers yet, but I took the plunge, and sold my old system and took the money to the dealer and used it towards this new system of 2 L3t's and 2 L3s's. I got them from long and McQuade whose prices were $1079 for the L3t's and $1279 for the L3s's. LAMusic online had all three of the speakers (L3t, L3m amd L3s) for $1039 each! So I showed them and they gave them to me for the same price. Didnt even have to add shipping or anything. So after tax and "surcharge" (environmental or disposal...something like that I think may only be in BC), it came to about $4600 for all 4 speakers! I am pretty happy to have saved about $1000!

I wasn't planning to commit, but when someone offered to by my system for a good price, I didn't want to take the chance of being stuck with it for another year or so. Can't really afford to keep two systems. New stuff should bein tomorrow, but if not, they are going to lend me some speakers. Will be a good chance to audition the paraline series of yorkville.

#72 brianj402002

brianj402002

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationSt. John's

Posted 22 August 2013 - 12:04 PM

Awesome news Digital-sound! I've been "eyeing" the Paraline system myself. Hopefully you will get to try them out as well and then compare with the Stagesource and fill us all in!

#73 Digital-sound

Digital-sound

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 25 August 2013 - 07:17 PM

Well, the L3's did not come in, so the store was kind enough to lend me the paraline system. It wasn't quite the system I had dreamed of. The subs definitely do not live up to the LS801P's. The PSA1S's have a lot of power. Peak at 2800watts with 129dB continuous output. We took two of them cause they were free! But the place we played only holds about 150 people, and I have only used one LS801P At this place. and it always gives us lots of big sound. Volume is never an issue. The PSA1S's, like I said, don't have any problem with volume, but I couldn't get the big sound we like. We got a good sound, but not quite the same. Recorded music sounded awesome, no issue at all. And the tops, the PSA1's, were very good. Very clean, and super easy to EQ. Set everything flat, and barely had to touch anything. I didn't check, but I am pretty sure they are a true flat response as well. But considering I just bought the Line6 system (2x L3t's and 2x L3s's) for $4600 after tax, I think I made the right choice. And that is before adding the benefits of the L6 Link technology! A similar size Paraline system runs about $7500. The paraline tops compare pretty similar to the L3t's as far as power (actually a little less peak wattage and spl from the paralines). And again, the paraline subs had sooooo much power and I don't expect to need that much in 95% or more of our gigs. I think Line 6 has likely balanced the tops and bottoms much better. I also think we will have a great sound once we take some time to dial things in. And maybe adjust to a slightly different, but no worse, bottom end.

We set up the L6 system next weekend. A wedding. At this moment, I am definitely feeling good about my decision. I think it was a good one. I will update next week.

#74 brianj402002

brianj402002

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts
  • LocationSt. John's

Posted 26 August 2013 - 06:27 AM

This is great digital-sound...Thanks for the review of the Paraline system. I'm thinking the reason the PSA1's would be "lacking" compared to the L3S is definately because of the L6 link technology. The L3S would make much better use of the technology and produce a much better bottom end...

#75 Digital-sound

Digital-sound

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 09:29 AM

Yeah, and likely you could get a similar sound to the 18's maybe if the subs were stacked/coupled. And it wasn't a bad sound at all. It comes more down to the price for the sound really. They are pricey. And I already have m20d, so that is not in the equation for me anymore. But yes, I have high expectations of the L6 technology. The paraline tops were great.

#76 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 26 August 2013 - 10:37 AM

As Brian said, Digital-sound...

Congratulations on your excellent and balanced review, one that's full of exactly the type of "real world" observations we "road warriors" (or maybe that should have been spelt "road worriers") find so hard to obtain.

I reckon all of us are now "hanging out" for that report on your StageSource system, ...all the more so because we now know that your opinion will be an honest evaluation of both systems, free of the negativity and disparaging, nonsensical "flaming" that characterises many of the online utterings of one-eyed sales staff or equally one-eyed fans of individual brands or types of system.

BTW, I've been most impressed with the Yorkville rigs I've heard in my travels, but

1. Down here in Australia, their gear is as rare as rocking horse manure and
  2. I've yet to experience any other gear that can match L2 and L3 systems' modular, instantly reconfigurable flexibility at the (relatively) low "punch for dollar ratio" cost of an L6-Linked StageSource rig.  

#77 Digital-sound

Digital-sound

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 26 August 2013 - 04:26 PM

I've yet to experience any other gear that can match L2 and L3 systems' modular, instantly reconfigurable flexibility at the (relatively) low "punch for dollar ratio" cost of an L6-Linked StageSource rig.

That is something I didn't mention. Although the tops are ten pounds lighter than the L3t's they would be difficult to configure as intended. At least for one person. I had a look, and didnt try, but these are meant to be stacked on a pole, on top of each other. It would then turn the speaker on a pole into a 94 pound speaker. The EF500's I had were 82, and about as heavy as I would want to put on a subwoofer speaker pole, or almost any pole. And you have to stack them, and get a little pin slid in to hold it in place. While you have it balanced with your other hand, up about shoulder level! It didnt look very easy. So I think the L6 flexibility and intended use when using more than one L3 on each side, is far easier to achieve by one person.

Also, the subs are not light. Only 25lbs lighter than the monsters I got rid of...the LS801P's (145lbs). the Paraline subs are 120lbs compared to 83lbs or so of the L3S. And no option to stand upright. So, just further driving home the point above that Ron makes which I overlooked a bit when setting up.

On another note, it has also bothered me for many years the looseness of the sub poles. Even those provided by yorkville, for their yorkville subs and speakers, leave the speaker leaning to one side or another. I have always shimmed somehow to straighten, but these paraline's were no different. If i was to spend over $1700CAD on each box, I would expect the speakers to sit nice and straight. I am looking forward to the threaded pole of the L6 system and a nice tight fit.

#78 jaminjimlp

jaminjimlp

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • LocationGeorgia

Posted 27 August 2013 - 06:38 AM

I purchased the short poles and let me tell you for the cost of those things I expected better quality, they had a flat spot on them and were tough to get the L3t's on the one then I couldn't get the thing off and had to spin it around about 20-30 times to get it lose by warring down the inside of the plastic cup and yes I one direction because it would unscrew in the other, then it was hard to unscrew it from the sub....

now that its a bit worn down it will come off a little easier but for the cost I think that the quality control should be better. I think I'll get a machine shop to make up a set of the long poles before dropping $80 on more of that quality.

I didn't return them because I figured the rest would be the same quality.

May you be blessed and our Lord Jesus keep you!!!

#79 Digital-sound

Digital-sound

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 334 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 08:53 AM

This is great digital-sound...Thanks for the review of the Paraline system. I'm thinking the reason the PSA1's would be "lacking" compared to the L3S is definately because of the L6 link technology. The L3S would make much better use of the technology and produce a much better bottom end...

Looking at the specs, the L3S is a bigger box than the PSA1S.  Which would possibly produce a bit better bottom.  Aside from the DSP and L6 Link technology.

I purchased the short poles and let me tell you for the cost of those things I expected better quality, they had a flat spot on them and were tough to get the L3t's on the one then I couldn't get the thing off and had to spin it around about 20-30 times to get it lose by warring down the inside of the plastic cup and yes I one direction because it would unscrew in the other, then it was hard to unscrew it from the sub....

now that its a bit worn down it will come off a little easier but for the cost I think that the quality control should be better. I think I'll get a machine shop to make up a set of the long poles before dropping $80 on more of that quality.

I didn't return them because I figured the rest would be the same quality.

I really hope you got an exception, and that there are some of good quality.  In any case, they can't be worse than what I have used for years.

#80 litesnsirens

litesnsirens

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:50 AM

I have a set of the long poles and the short poles.  No problem with either. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users