Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

POD HD Desktop Buzz

Jasipi

Hey all. I've got some buzz going on when using headphones.

It may be the guitar but my tech swears it's all good. I had a guitar not long ago that had no buzz with the exact same cables and everything so i don't know. Here's the thing though, it really only buzzes through headphones. When i have the POD running line outs L/R to studio monitors the buzz is hardly there (even through headphones out of the POD), and similarly when running through my Focusrite 2i4 and out of the studio monitors or headphones (out of 2i4) there is hardly any buzz. Now, even if i plug one line out from the POD into a studio monitor that isn't even being powered (but still plugged in) the noise is reduced a great deal.

I tried turning off every powerpoint, light and ceiling fan in my bedroom but the buzz remains the same. The buzz is a tiny bit more quiet when i touch the strings or if i touch the POD, and pretty much disappears when i touch the screws on the 5-way switch, metal on the ends of the cable or on the headphone 1/4" jack adapter in the POD.

I've been wondering if it could have anything to do with having a 2 pin power source? I don't know too much about it but from what i've read my adapter doesn't have the "earth/ground" pin. Could this be why it is buzzing? My studio monitors have 3 pin adapters so maybe that's why the POD is silent whenever they're plugged in?

Thanks!

I tried a few different cables and sets of headphones, also a couple of other guitars. Though, two of the three cables were the same model, as were two of the three sets of headphones, but still all the same buzz. One guitar had single coil pickups so that doesn't help much (the buzz was about the same anyway). The other guitar had humbuckers, and was old but had about the same buzz also.

By the way my guitar is an 8 string guitar with DiMarzio D-Activator 8's. The guitar i mentioned that did not buzz was a 6 string with DiMarzio Crunch Lab/Liquifire pickups. So both these guitars had fairly hot pickups and both setup and wired by the same tech.

Is it normal for the buzz to change if i touch the POD? I'm still curious about whether the two pinned DC adapter is the problem?

I tried a few different cables and sets of headphones, also a couple of other guitars. Though, two of the three cables were the same model, as were two of the three sets of headphones, but still all the same buzz. One guitar had single coil pickups so that doesn't help much (the buzz was about the same anyway). The other guitar had humbuckers, and was old but had about the same buzz also.

By the way my guitar is an 8 string guitar with DiMarzio D-Activator 8's. The guitar i mentioned that did not buzz was a 6 string with DiMarzio Crunch Lab/Liquifire pickups. So both these guitars had fairly hot pickups and both setup and wired by the same tech.

Is it normal for the buzz to change if i touch the POD? I'm still curious about whether the two pinned DC adapter is the problem?

I am using also the 2 pin adapter, and I don't get any buzz...  I don't think it is the culprit...

The thing that you touch and it stops, means grounding issue.. 

I would go with Alex knivels answer and get a power conditioner.

• Upvote 1

I get the same thing no matter what I'm plugging into or with what cable, at least at my house. I'm thinking about getting a power conditioner to see if that helps..

Well if you happen to get one of these "power conditioners", please let me know if it works.

Get an AVR (Automatic Voltage Regulator)....Power Conditioners offer very little protection at all...AVRs actually eliminate ground loops....That's what transformers do...

This is what I have been using for the last more than several years.

https://www.tripplite.com/1200w-120v-power-conditioner-automatic-voltage-regulation-avr-ac-surge-protection~LC1200/

I walked into guitar center today asking about a power conditioner and the guy instead talked me into getting an EBTech Hum X. Brought it home and no difference.

I'm going again later tonight and exchanging it for the power conditioner I wanted to originally get

It doesn't surprise me at all that the power conditioner didn't work if the HumX didn't work.  They're both doing the same thing which is eliminating ground loop differences.  So my guess is the problem is in the grounding of the pickups, the plug, or the cable.  Or potentially in the headphone plug.

I've been told over and over about how house wiring works but I always look like a deer caught in headlights when being told. Eyes start crossing and all. A good friend of mine who's an electrican came over and poked around in junction boxes and couldn't make sense of the mess of wires in my walls. Apparently the guy who owned the house before us was a wannabe handyman did some funny work. Door frames aren't even square..

Apparently the guy who owned the house before us was a wannabe handyman did some funny work. Door frames aren't even square..

The house i'm living in is brand new, my roommates and i are the first occupants.

Line 6 also says the 2 pin DC-3g adapter is fine. I have no clue what to do about it.

Whatever the case i give up, it's too confusing for me to care about anymore lol..