Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Tone Test

djspleen

Who feels like giving an opinion on a tone?  This is my main distortion that I use...it's based on the Plexi.  Sometimes I think it sounds fine...other times...I'm not so sure.  Let me know what you think.  

And please don't grade me on my solo execution...I know some of the bends sound like an ill duck.  Try to ignore that part.

Thanks.

https://soundcloud.com/easily-amused-2/tone-test-2016-feb16

Nice tone. I enjoy that tone the most when you are playing in the higher registers of the guitar (the lead part near the end). It sounds nice and thick.

Don't get wrong, because I think it sounds good, but if you are looking for a minor tweaking suggestion, for the rhythm and lower register lead parts, I personally might try and see how it would sound if I backed off some of the lower frequencies. Either reduce the bass on the pre-amp, or maybe bring up the Low Cut or lower the thump on the cab if you are using a cab sim. There are EQs you can use. The GEQ as well if you are not using L6Link. 

Well this went over better than I anticipated it would.  Thanks for the input and replies!

This clip was USB direct into the computer from the 500X and a diddy from http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com/

I originally downloaded this patch from customtone.com, but I've tweaked it a bit since then.

The amp is a Plexi bright, 4x12 Greenback cab model and the 421 mic.  There's some chamber reverb, a tube screamer, and a little compression.

I'd like if it had more sustain, but that's likely a product, at least to some degree, of the noise gate.  And listening to the lead section, it sounds a bit dry in this environment...maybe I could experiment with some delay/reverb during lead sections.  Oh...and also getting my bends bent properly...that would be good too.

Understood Duned, that's a good point.  I also did some research about the Low Cut adjustment and determined that changing the low cut a bit can help my guitar sit above the mix better (keeps it from blending into the bass player).  I'll give it a try and see how it goes.  Thanks!