Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HOW TO: Import all your IRs back in the same order after a global reset. Do this before global reset!

HonestOpinion

As long as firmware updates involve doing global resets (9&10 footswitch reboot) which also clears out the IRs I have found I am presented with a bit of a problem. I export all my IRs at one time in a mass export before a firmware update to a fresh directory with nothing else in it, but when I use the Helix App and return to that directory to import them, they are stored in alphabetical order in the save directory in Windows. This means that when you go to do a mass import to reload them into the Helix after a global reset they appear by default in the import window in alphabetical order. This probably is not the order the IRs were loaded on your Helix. If you import them this way (alphabetical order) they will probably no longer correspond to the IRs you set up in your presets. This means your custom presets come up with the wrong IR loaded.

The way to deal with this is when you open the IR import browse window in the Helix App, sort the IRs on date. Then select them all. This will allow you to import them all at one time in the same order you exported them (even though Windows may not display the time in milliseconds in the browse window, each successive IR saved in a mass export actually has a slightly later timestamp and Windows can sort on it). Perhaps other folks have a better solution but this one is working well for me.

It would be great to have an "Export Setlist" in the IR section of the Helix App so this workaround wasn't necessary. However this method seems to work pretty well when you are dealing with a lot of IRs and don't want to have to re-import them one by one, and you also want them to go back into the same IR "slot"/position on the Helix that you exported from.

Note: If the Helix app import browse window is not showing "Date" as one of the columns (this is the column you need to sort on), you can do the following. Right click on the directory with your IRs, choose "Properties", select the "Customize" tab, and then select "Documents" in the "Optimize this folder for" pulldown menu. This is the process for Windows 10, it should be similar in earlier Windows versions or even on the Mac.

• Upvote 1

To also be aware, they still have not fixed the bug in version 1.04 of the Helix app where dragging and dropping multiple IRs from your file manager to the app will result in an unpredictable order in Helix.

Selecting multiple IRs from the import dialog works fine through. So avoid the drag and drop method.

I create separate folders on my computer for groups of IR's with one folder containing the currently loaded Helix IR's.  As mentioned above, I add the numbering to all the IR's in that folder prior to loading them into Helix.  That way I always have a backup of the exact order they are in.  The latest app update fixed folder drag and drop so for me, once I do an update and reset on the Helix I can just drag the whole folder into the app and they all load in the right order and position.

• Upvote 1

Another tip. I rename the files for my IRs before importing, adding "000" "001" etc. before the file name. Doesn't change the name within Helix it seems, but makes it easier to manage. That said, I only have 8 loaded...

To also be aware, they still have not fixed the bug in version 1.04 of the Helix app where dragging and dropping multiple IRs from your file manager to the app will result in an unpredictable order in Helix.

Selecting multiple IRs from the import dialog works fine through. So avoid the drag and drop method.

I create separate folders on my computer for groups of IR's with one folder containing the currently loaded Helix IR's.  As mentioned above, I add the numbering to all the IR's in that folder prior to loading them into Helix.  That way I always have a backup of the exact order they are in.  The latest app update fixed folder drag and drop so for me, once I do an update and reset on the Helix I can just drag the whole folder into the app and they all load in the right order and position.

Great tips one and all gentlemen, thanks! Yeah, prepending all my presets with a number per PeterHamm's suggestion is probably the most bullet-proof solution and was the way I was doing it but requires a bit more management and of course renaming as you swap IRs in and out. Anyway glad to see these options up here and once again I hope they add an "Export Setlist" function to the Impulse section of the Helix App so we can dispense with these workarounds.

As long as firmware updates involve doing global resets (9&10 footswitch reboot) which also clears out the IRs I have found I am presented with a bit of a problem. I export all my IRs at one time in a mass export before a firmware update to a fresh directory with nothing else in it, but when I use the Helix App and return to that directory to import them, they are stored in alphabetical order in the save directory in Windows. This means that when you go to do a mass import to reload them into the Helix after a global reset they appear by default in the import window in alphabetical order. This probably is not the order the IRs were loaded on your Helix. If you import them this way (alphabetical order) they will probably no longer correspond to the IRs you set up in your presets. This means your custom presets come up with the wrong IR loaded.

The way to deal with this is when you open the IR import browse window in the Helix App, sort the IRs on date. Then select them all. This will allow you to import them all at one time in the same order you exported them (even though Windows may not display the time in milliseconds in the browse window, each successive IR saved in a mass export actually has a slightly later timestamp and Windows can sort on it). Perhaps other folks have a better solution but this one is working well for me.

It would be great to have an "Export Setlist" in the IR section of the Helix App so this workaround wasn't necessary. However this method seems to work pretty well when you are dealing with a lot of IRs and don't want to have to re-import them one by one, and you also want them to go back into the same IR "slot"/position on the Helix that you exported from.

Note: If the Helix app import browse window is not showing "Date" as one of the columns (this is the column you need to sort on), you can do the following. Right click on the directory with your IRs, choose "Properties", select the "Customize" tab, and then select "Documents" in the "Optimize this folder for" pulldown menu. This is the process for Windows 10, it should be similar in earlier Windows versions or even on the Mac.

Doesn't quite work on my last Windows 7 save, using the tab 'date last saved'. They line up mostly in the right order, but a good few have been moved around in fairly close position. The folder only contains my IR complete export from 3 days ago. Guessing it probably exports slightly faster than the resolution of the time stamp.

Doesn't quite work on my last Windows 7 save, using the tab 'date last saved'. They line up mostly in the right order, but a good few have been moved around in fairly close position. The folder only contains my IR complete export from 3 days ago. Guessing it probably exports slightly faster than the resolution of the time stamp.

Hmm, this method might actually work better on slower older machines, I guess that leaves you with the numbering option for now. Thanks for the feedback.