Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Slicer patch

daddydoodles

Well here's one...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/chorus-flanger-phaser-effects-pedals/boss-sl-20-slicer-guitar-effects-pedal

I read the description, and I still don't understand what it's supposed to do. But I am fairly certain that I don't want to "instantly transform my guitar into a pulsating groove instrument"...whatever that means. From the sound of it, it would seem to have something to do with wearing a giant fluffy mouse head while pushing a space bar, in front of a room full of 20-somethings with heads full of Ecstacy...

But to each their own, and good luck in your quest! ;)

Well here's one...

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/chorus-flanger-phaser-effects-pedals/boss-sl-20-slicer-guitar-effects-pedal

I read the description, and I still don't understand what it's supposed to do. But I am fairly certain that I don't want to "instantly transform my guitar into a pulsating groove instrument"...whatever that means. From the sound of it, it would seem to have something to do with wearing a giant fluffy mouse head while pushing a space bar, in front of a room full of 20-somethings with heads full of Ecstacy...

But to each their own, and good luck in your quest! ;)

Hmm. I wonder if this is something similar to the pattern tremolo in the HD? Never used that effect for anything but I remember messing with it once.

If that's what a slicer would do, not sure how one would go about making something like that on Helix.

Yea that effect is missing in Helix.

After listening to the video in the link cruisinon02 posted, a couple of other effects could be useful: obi-wah or seeker or both (both missing from Helix but in the HD), the new auto-panner, and possibly the mystery filter.

But without some sort of pattern maker, I don't see how this can be done on Helix.

• Upvote 1

If you make two parallel paths and put a Tremolo on each (The new from 1.6) and set the waveform to square. 

Ideally it would be possible to use Tap-values for the speed - Cant remember if this can be done right now. 

You could have one set to 4.- notes and the other for dotted 8. to create the rythm know from multi delays... 

You could also try more than one tremolo on each path to make some less predictable patterns. 

Tagmusenmagnus1 is on the right track.

Also, try the new tremolo/autopan block, with a square wave shape (other waveshapes create interesting things too). Put a bunch of them in series (don't have to waste a path split then), or use a bunch in series and parallel and mess with the speed (Hz or tempo) and dutycycle of each block. This can create some goofy patterns.

• 11 months later...
I gave tagmusenmagnus1and Duncann's approaches a go.

It actually kinda worked at least for me but the overlap of the 2 trems became crackily like a bad lead,  so not a clean pattern tremolo (of the HD/M series) as such or the step sequence trem that the boss slicer is - at least not when I tried.  Not a bad work around though.

Can't wait til L6 develop a step sequence algorithm for the Helix with a bunch of sequence patterns and apply it to a bunch of their existing FX.  They could apply it to a wah or the Mutron to make a seeker (Seek-wah or Obi-wah) or a phaser for a step phaser like the Boss PH-3 or a step seq arpeggiator like the H9 Harpeggiator and a pattern trem like the slicer.  It would make a much cleaner pattern/trem as well as other filter/mod FX.

I came up with another work around though.  Setup the Tremolo patch (I have it before my drive [Engl-Meteor amp+cab]).  intensity - 10.  Rate set at 1/32 dotted or 1/16 at about 80 BPM.  Set footswitch to momentary and then hold it down when you want trem and take it off for the long notes.  It's manual and requires a balancing act but still.  A very clean result.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey,

I know you guys are talking about workarounds for pattern term/slicer stuff, but I wanted to throw this into the mix because it's definitely still on my wishlist, Helix or the pedal itself.

ELECTRO-HARMONIX -- Super Pulsar:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=30D8_X9folQ&ebc=ANyPxKp6WfrOu4clJFPLwHQA1BLY8YyCjPKOi9cPzIUNDtFdaZDNMAbejmRYmX2141AJ_jCpr5LWSrKDvMSJ01lcJIK5f2iAxg