Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Mounting board success

floyd99

Hi all, for those who are interested..

made a board to mount the Helix on. I do have a pedal train board that would fit it perfectly, but this would add too much weight, and too much height at a steep angle. As I play a lot of theatre shows in pits, which means i'm sitting down, this would have placed way too much angle on my foot which sits full time on the expression (volume) pedal.

I'm not the most handy of people, but i think it'll work nicely. Really all i wanted was two basic things ;

• handles to help gripping when taking in and out of case (why doesn't the chassis have some indents into the chassis to act like handles?!), and
  • to raise it slightly off the ground just in case of spills etc.
I got a piece of plywood cut to size at local hardware, a couple of cupboard door handles, some rubber feet and a can of spray paint. I sanded the corners to make them nice and round as not to damage my case (Mono soft case) and i put extra feet underneath to cater for under the expression pedal.

only issue is I chose a grade of plywood that was i think one grade too thin. I'll see how it goes but if necessary, I'll remove the hardware and re-do it with a slightly thicker piece. It's super cheap and very easy to re-do, took me next to no time. Particularly when the hardware store cut the material to size for me. (300mm x 600mm)

mounted the helix to the board using 3M Dual Lock.

i think the materials in total cost me about $30AUD ($20 USD)

:)

post-561563-0-19770500-1456125895_thumb.jpg

post-561563-0-85894100-1456125909_thumb.jpg

post-561563-0-58067400-1456125927_thumb.jpg

post-561563-0-06053200-1456125957_thumb.jpg

post-561563-0-20800900-1456125969_thumb.jpg

oh sorry, should have mentioned.. i'll edit the post.  I used 3M Dual Lock.  Basically the serious plastic snap velcro type stuff with adhesive backing.

I've used the similar 3M product for picture frame mounting (holding up 8kg frames) and it doesn't move.  In fact, getting the helix off the board again will be a challenge that stuff really holds.

And really it's not like i'm going to tip the thing upside down anyway.. lol.

I don't really understand the need for this. Is it just to elevate it further? Could someone please explain?

He wrote that he "wanted two basic things":

• handles to help gripping when taking in and out of case (why doesn't the chassis have some indents into the chassis to act like handles?!), and
  • to raise it slightly off the ground just in case of spills etc.

Well, if you're not so handy as the OP is, this seems like a very nice option.  Love the mounting system too.

https://reverb.com/item/670514-temple-audio-design-duo-24-24-5-x-12-5-pedalboard-w-soft-case-temple-red

Mine is mounted on a Temple Board Trio 43 with dual lock along with some other stuff. 

It all fits in a keyboard Gator softcase.

The Temple mounting pedal plates aren't all they're cracked up to be IMO. The board itself is a very good design.

Mine is mounted on a Temple Board Trio 43 with dual lock along with some other stuff. 

It all fits in a keyboard Gator softcase.

The Temple mounting pedal plates aren't all they're cracked up to be IMO. The board itself is a very good design.

Interesting.  What's their main flaw?

Interesting.  What's their main flaw?

They're fairly expensive relative to other options when you consider the number of them you'll need to mount all 14+ pounds of Helix. Users have also reported them failing to hold and it is difficult to remove the sticky tape. 

To be fair, I've never tried them. There are long threads on TGP to read up on them and Temple boards in general if you're inclined to research.

The board itself, as I'd said before, is really nice. It works easy with Dual Lock and also mounts pedals with zip ties perfectly. No need to spend any more time or money with the plates.

Hmmm... I'm suspicious of the fact that while some claim that the tape fails to hold properly, others claim to have difficulty removing the tape. 

Leads me to think that some did not clean the surfaces well enough causing the sticky tape to fail.