Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Quick question on footswitch configuration HD500

southpawpete

Hi guys.  I understand there's two ways to set up the 8 main switches - either all as fx on/off, or a mix of fx and preset selection.

My question is, how easy is it to change between the two modes in a live situation. I.E. can I be in preset selection mode, choose a preset, then swap to all f/x so I can toggle 8 different fx within that preset - then flick back to change to another preset?

So far the only way I've seen to do this is by going into a menu, which would be a bit cumbersome on stage.

That's the only way, you should pick which mode you want and stick with it.

I used it in the 8 stomp-box mode. switching patches just meant hitting two buttons instead of 1, and I thought it was just fine.

I rarely switch patches within a song though.

I can see how if your strategy on using the POD is to have just a few main patches that are oriented toward different setups (clean, crunch, overdriven, metal) that you use across a wide range of songs it might be better to use the 8 stompbox mode so you have a greater variety of effects available when playing in a given style.  For my old brain that's way too much to remember, so I just setup patches for each of our songs with the minimal switches necessary for just that song even if many of the patches are similar.  That comes with the added benefit of having the setlist displayed on my POD since I name the patch the same as the song.

I'm also very conservative about what effects I actually apply a footswitch to.  If the effect is constantly on in that patch (such as a noise gate, reverb, delay, etc)  there's no reason to assign it to a footswitch, plus it's much less likely you'll inadvertantly turn something off you didn't mean to turn off.

I always try to use my multifx units like a simple amp and stomp box set up, so rather than have a bunch of presets I'll have 2-3 different amps (like DunedIn Dragon said).

The idea of having 8 stomp boxes available isn't (for me) about having 8 effects on - but it means I can have a cleanish amp and then the option of 2-3 different drive pedals, or chorus and flanger available. That's the big draw of the HD500 over previous units like the XTLive (or my most recent, a Fender Mustang). With them, it was one drive pedal per patch, so if you wanted a screamer and a rat you needed two patches. Not a big deal but if one day you decide you're not in love with your clean amp sound it's two patches to tweak (or 10, if you've got 10 versions with different effects in each).

Now, I'll be able to have, say just 3 presets (clean amp, gritty amp, rock amp) and a ton of stomp options to tailor to each song.

I play in a covers band doing soul, R&B and a bit of blues rock, so I don't need massively complicated tones - but variety is the spice of life, right?!

I can see how if your strategy on using the POD is to have just a few main patches that are oriented toward different setups (clean, crunch, overdriven, metal) that you use across a wide range of songs it might be better to use the 8 stompbox mode so you have a greater variety of effects available when playing in a given style. For my old brain that's way too much to remember, so I just setup patches for each of our songs with the minimal switches necessary for just that song even if many of the patches are similar.

It's all relative of course, but for me it's the exact opposite. I have a few song-specific patches, but if I had to set up a unique patch for every single tune we do, I'd go insane. And no matter what order I put them in, it wouldn't translate well to an actual performance. Yeah, we write out a set list, but often it's edited on the fly...you gotta play to the crowd. If a suitably lubricated audience starts yelling out requests, sometimes the whole list goes out the window...no time to scroll through banks of patches to locate my "Limelight" tone because we hadn't originally planned on playing it that night.

I play sometimes with five different bands in the course of one week.The POD can do almost anything.

@ Uber Guru- what foot switch do you use for the expression pedal jack on your POD?

That might be a cool addition for me.

Thanks Uber Guru!

I play sometimes with five different bands in the course of one week.The POD can do almost anything.

@ Uber Guru- what foot switch do you use for the expression pedal jack on your POD?

That might be a cool addition for me.

Thanks Uber Guru!

spaceatl is my handle JTC777....I am using an old basic little Fender latching FS with a 10K resistor in it.

I kinda would like to modify my MK2 shortboard and just have the switch built in, but there really isn't a great spot for it...I really do like it for toggling two different tones out of the same amp model...but also like it for having two different scenes of FX settings is pretty handy...For me changing patches within the same song is something I try to avoid...