Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Question about VDI + 1/4 inch out

To clay,... termination at the other end matters too.

It's a fine design if used as intended. 

It's been like that since the beginning of Variax. the TRS configuration

adheres to AES standards for signals with a DC voltage on a 1/4" plug/jack

configuration (including those used in active guitar circuitry).

Don't try over-think it, make it simple for yourselves, just use a TRS cable.

So why does the Variax manual say "6. Analog Output - Plug in a standard 1/4 inch guitar cable here"?

Isn't a standard guitrar cable TS?

• Upvote 2

Does anyone remember that TS cable being discouraged anywhere else in Line 6 Variax manuals or knowledge base?

Because regardless of design limitations or incidental bad protection mechanism component, clay-man has a point.

All the Variaxes using a TS cable all around the world are at risk?

Time to be paranoid.. and suggest something comedic:

cdda05fd1c938da7ac5fa18549346f01.jpg

But the current of the guitar signal going from tthe Tip also back to the Variax Power-Ring, should be too low for a real challenge to the protection mechanism. Although no invisibility is involved. The worry is not completely baseless and is scandelous to the brand imo. No one will notice as long as the protection mechanism doesn't fail. I would imagine much more returned guitars on that basis alone if it wasn't incidental component fail of the protection mechanism.

It's much lower risk than simultaniuos audio-signals from the Variax outputs according to the staff most active on the forum.

Edit: grammar.

This. How asinine is it that this is apparently a thing and there's no mention to use TRS? It's only suggested to use TRS when using a power supply.

I honestly think the whole argument about how we should use TRS is just to make absolutely sure there's nothing bad that can happen, which is probably very small in the first place.

Either way, the protection should of been built more appropriately for this scenario since nearly all guitarists use mono cables, because again, there is no purpose to use a TRS cable on a normal guitar, and again, no one in the Variax documents does it state that we needed to use a TRS at all times.

Either way, I ordered the TRS to TS splitter and I guess I'll just connect to the tip jack to avoid any minor risks. Whatever.

1000 dollars and we have to be afraid of something that most guitarists are probably going to be doing in the first place with this guitar because Line 6 couldn't build a more solid protection circuit

"6. Analog Output - Plug in a standard 1/4 inch guitar cable here?"---

That just shows where the 1/4" is. Don't forget the note after #8.

Make it easier on yourselves, play it safe, treat it like an XPS,

when using the battery, use a TRS.

Maybe it's a good idea to recommend to your team to add a cheap free TRS to TS splitter and reflect the situation in the manual? You know. Just to be safe..

• Upvote 1

"6. Analog Output - Plug in a standard 1/4 inch guitar cable here?"---

That just shows where the 1/4" is. Don't forget the note after #8.

Make it easier on yourselves, play it safe, treat it like an XPS,

when using the battery, use a TRS.

It says to use a TRS when using a power supply, it says nothing about using a TRS at all times.

"or use the optional xps-di direct box/power supply and TRS cable"

Because you're actually using Ring to power the guitar......

Edit: Again, I think Psarkissian is just saying to play it safe. In reality it most likely wont happen, but why take the chance, is probably what he's saying.

My argument is that Line 6 should have made the protection circuit fail proof because it's a ****ing thousand dollar guitar.

Idea Scale that one.

I think we use to with the early Variax (before my time here).

I think my 300 Electric had one in the bag pouch when I got it (circa 2008).

What I also tried to elude at between the lines of all of my posts, now concretely: shouldn't Line 6 create a Pinned Anouncement and auto-email all relevant registered users of this precaution? Idea Scaling something that is based originally on Staff recommendation for new users not in the know, doesn't help current users not in the know about this. Although I appreciate the interactivity.

Mars, the candy, millions of bars, of candy, were called back, because they may contain plastic inside. Just recently. Now that, is taking responsibility for "new information". Not burried in a thread, however informative it is to the one's that - "also accidentally" - read it.

It's criticism on my part. I hope it's constructive.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, constructive. Interesting idea.

Problem ones that come back for this were typically by

someone who didn't read the manual or had no history with using a Variax (old or new).

Yeah clay,... better safe than sorry. I have had a few (fortunately only a few) that came back

because someone tried to take this JTV to somewhere it was never meant to go (including this

subject). This group here though seems to be more on the ball than that.

As always, I'm trying to keep all of your gears from ending up on my bench, if it doesn't have to.

Idea Scale is where people go to submit ideas that get looked at by staff here.

The new Helix product we have is a result of Idea Scale.

• Upvote 1

Yeah, constructive. Interesting idea.

Problem ones that come back for this were typically by

someone who didn't read the manual or had no history with using a Variax (old or new).

Yeah clay,... better safe than sorry. I have had a few (fortunately only a few) that came back

because someone tried to take this JTV to somewhere it was never meant to go (including this

subject). This group here though seems to be more on the ball than that.

As always, I'm trying to keep all of your gears from ending up on my bench, if it doesn't have to.

Idea Scale is where people go to submit ideas that get looked at by staff here.

The new Helix product we have is a result of Idea Scale.

Fair enough, but in the end, like I've said, there should be a bullet proof mechanism to guard against short circuiting via ground and power connection.

Fair enough, but in the end, like I've said, there should be a bullet proof mechanism to guard against short circuiting via ground and power connection.

"Bullet proof" isn't even bullet proof, "water proof" ain't water proof, and stainless steel really just stains LESS...c'est la vie.