Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix arriving soon

hideout

I guess I'd check to see which firmware version is loaded.

The most important thing to keep in mind is how the real world devices and amps modeled by Helix act in the real world.

It's also a good idea to wear a bib and have an extra towel nearby to prevent drool from messing up your unit! :p

You'll definitely have fun!

I guess I'd check to see which firmware version is loaded.

The most important thing to keep in mind is how the real world devices and amps modeled by Helix act in the real world.

It's also a good idea to wear a bib and have an extra towel nearby to prevent drool from messing up your unit! :p

You'll definitely have fun!

You think I'm not drooling now? Lol

There are a couple of things I suggest you do in advance if you haven't already done them (your drooling suggests you already have!):

- read at least the cheat sheet if not scan through the entire manual

- famililiarize yourself with the firmware update procedures and download Line 6 Updater and the Helix app

When you get your Helix:

- update the firmware first thing, and perform the subsequent procedures such as restoring factory presets.

- use the Helix app to back up (export) the factory setlists.

- engage in heavy drooling while playing with the factory presets

- do a basic sanity check to discover if there are any glaring hardware faults (e.g. Test all inputs and outputs, use the joystick and footswitches and make sure their behaviour matches what the cheat sheet describes, ...). This will allow you to get familiar with basic navigation and editing. Don't use the app while doing this, get familiar with navigating on the device.

- inspect the presets in the Template setlist. Get an understanding of the power and flexibility of preset design. Pay particular attention to the inputs and outputs and the various path routing options and examples such as splitting and merging.

When you're ready:

- begin to customize your own presets, first by copying and editing factory presets to a user setlist, then by building yr own presets from scratch.

- use the Helix app frequently to back up your custom presets and/or setlists.

• Upvote 1

When you get your Helix:

- update the firmware first thing, and perform the subsequent procedures such as restoring factory presets.

All great advice from Silverhead, just wanted to clarify one point. I think his point above is in reference to running the 9&10 global reset procedure after you upgrade to the latest firmware. This will make sure that all of the latest new factory presets are setup properly, it will not restore the original factory presets that ship with the Helix(although it will overwrite any factory presets you edit so make sure you do this before you start editing presets in one of the "Factory" lists [copy them to User list first]). Again, copy any factory presets you intend to edit into a User directory first and edit them there, as Silverhead recommends, so that they don't get overwritten in the next firmware update.