Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

VDI cable sounds weird (Helix)

Doing some tests I found out the audio with the VDI cable is just awful. With the regular pickups it sounds bright as hell, and at a lesser level it will dull the variax models. Using a regular cable makes the Variax experience much better IMO, witch is frustrating, because I got the Variax with the Helix because I wanted to be able to change my Variax settings through Helix, as well as the benefit of not having to worry about the battery. Is there a work around or am I stuck? 

Doing some tests I found out the audio with the VDI cable is just awful. With the regular pickups it sounds bright as hell, and at a lesser level it will dull the variax models. Using a regular cable makes the Variax experience much better IMO, witch is frustrating, because I got the Variax with the Helix because I wanted to be able to change my Variax settings through Helix, as well as the benefit of not having to worry about the battery. Is there a work around or am I stuck?

There have been similar gripes with the POD HD and VDI connection. The only real solution seems to be tweaking away (to whatever extent that's possible) what you don't like...or resign yourself to the battery, and manual control of the guitar. Personally, since I loathe reliance on batteries for anything, I have a set of patches specifically for the Variax...but then again, I have the same thing for my other guitars as well, so there really isn't any more work required. Just think of the mags and models as 2 different guitars, tweak accordingly, and save.

The Variax should sound great through the VDI.  It does with my HD500x.  I would expect at least as much from Helix at 3x the price!  Yes - patches must be tweaked for your particular variables (speaker system, tone you want, etc).  Since the signal path is different with VDI vs 1/4 inch, I would expect to have to do some tweaking but not major tweaking.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Will we ever be able to tweak them hooked to the Helix like the POD? Does the hardware support it?  It's a pain break out another piece of equipment just to play with settings.

MIke

Not sure what you mean. You can tweak Variax JTV/Standard settings (not the older models) in Helix. The Variax model selection, vol/tone knob controllers, and custom tunings are all accessible and stored in Helix on a preset or global basis. You will see them on pages 2 and 3 of any input block where Variax is among the selected inputs.

Not sure what you mean. You can tweak Variax JTV/Standard settings (not the older models) in Helix. The Variax model selection, vol/tone knob controllers, and custom tunings are all accessible and stored in Helix on a preset or global basis. You will see them on pages 2 and 3 of any input block where Variax is among the selected inputs.

I think he's talking about Workbench. The Helix doesn't support Workbench yet, but I'm sure that functionality is coming.

• Upvote 1