Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Correct JTV69 Tremolo setup ideas?

Hey guys, just recently re strung my JTV69 and I've noticed that since I've done it, my tremolo is fairly stiff and locked near the body...(No more semi floating setup).

Now I did take off all the strings and the tremolo did pop out (A common surprise from the looks of things!) however I seemed like I had set it up good afterwards, Is there a easy and effective way to get that tremolo tension and back to a floating setup like out the box again?

Any suggestions would be great, I've already found some more full on mods that people have done, but I'd like to keep it stock until warranty period!

Im a little worried to do the same as my strats as the bridge is obviously a different design and as it is not a string through setup, dont want the strings slipping or the likes!

Hey guys, just recently re strung my JTV69 and I've noticed that since I've done it, my tremolo is fairly stiff and locked near the body...(No more semi floating setup).

Now I did take off all the strings and the tremolo did pop out (A common surprise from the looks of things!) however I seemed like I had set it up good afterwards, Is there a easy and effective way to get that tremolo tension and back to a floating setup like out the box again?

A floating bridge should sit parallel to the body of the guitar. If you changed the string guage (and sometimes even if you didn't...wood moves), the amount of tension on the tremolo springs will need adjusting.

If the bridge is now resting on the body, then loosen the screws at the claw that anchors the springs to the body, then tune to pitch. It's trial and error. You will most likely have to do this several times until you find the right balance between string and spring tension.

Good rule of thumb with floating bridges: Don't remove all the strings at once unless you have to. Change one at a time, and you'll have fewer issues.