8 replies to this topic

#1 Sidecut

Sidecut

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:02 PM

Being new to these wireless units, I'm running into a curious problem. When using the TBp12 I seem to be getting a static noise that occurs when the cable connecting GTR to transmitter is touched at all. This only seems to occur with Humbuckers. I've tried it with three different guitars with humbuckers, all the same. It does not happen with single coil pickups even when using a single coil on a guitar where the humbucker is problematic. Obviously in high gain situations this is really an issue.

#2 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2524 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:51 AM

The fact that it seems to be fine in single coil mode but not hum bucking  mode seems to suggest that the connecting cable itself is OK ... but it wouldn't hurt to confirm that by swapping the cable if possible.  

There is a difference between using a cable and being wireless in that when wireless (any brand) you not longer have a direct ground connection at the instrument.  That's both good and bad.  The good is you can't get shocked.  The bad is that your guitars or pickups may not have be connected/shielded so they can work well without it.  I have used it on many different guitars that have HB's without any problems.  But as you state, high gain makes any kind of noise issue much more prominent.   

#3 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 09 August 2013 - 01:25 PM

The fact that it seems to be fine in single coil mode but not hum bucking  mode seems to suggest that the connecting cable itself is OK ... but it wouldn't hurt to confirm that by swapping the cable if possible...

Having now taken a bit of time to canvass this problem among my engineering colleagues, we're thinking that Don may very well be "on to something" as far as your TA4F to guitar jack adapter cable is concerned.

Nobody's suggesting the nuisance of a using separate cable for humbuckers, but the feeling is that the wiring inside the TA4F connector is worth a look, ...specifically the link (or lack thereof) between the "high-impedance selector" pin 4 and pin 1, that "pin 1" being the nominal "ground" which is often documented using the abbreviation "GND", but (as Don has indicated) is merely the "shield" or "signal cold" connection to a "non grounded" or  "fully floating" wireless beltpack.

If that pin 1 to pin 4 link is there, try making (or buying) and testing another cable without it, but we feel that it's far more likely that the lack of a pin 1 to 4 "short circuit" connection is what's giving rise to this issue.

Should no such link be visible when you remove your TA4F connector's cover, we're fairly confident that your soldering of that link (or purchasing a cable that already has it) will prove to be the "fix", with most non-humbuckers being "happy campers" using either configuration.    

#4 Sidecut

Sidecut

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 07:52 PM

Thanks for the suggestions but isn't this something that a manufacturer that specializes in products for the guitar would realize?  I can't be the only one experiencing this. I've tried tis on Suhr, Kramer and an LP.

#5 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:08 AM

...isn't this something that a manufacturer that specializes in products for the guitar would realize?  I can't be the only one experiencing this...

My experience is that the huge plethora of "weird" problems associated with "ground" or "signal cold" arrangements when accommodating inputs from unbalanced sources is one of the most common bugbears of the entire audio industry.

Consequently, I feel that it may be a little harsh to accuse any manufacturer of ignorance in this regard. 

#6 Sidecut

Sidecut

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 05:11 AM

I don't think it's harsh at all. This isn't a PA or remote truck having to deal with tracking down a ground problem. This is a very simple set of pretty universal parameters in a closed system. Humbuckers, transmitter, receiver, amp. To say that an end user has to open up a cable and solder to get a Les Paul working with a Marshall amp working is absurd. 

#7 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2524 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 06:40 AM

Well there is always the possibility that you have a hardware issue and you could send it in for service. We have made tests with dozens and dozens of different guitars with HB pickups and have never found any problems.

Have you tried a different Line6 branded cable?

#8 Sidecut

Sidecut

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 12:11 PM

Went down to meet with my friend Neil Jason who was the one who swore by these boxes and after about an hour of troubleshooting we determined it was two out of the box bad cables. Unfortunately, at this point the confidence level in this product from the performers POV is nil and we're returning the receiver and three transmitters and looking at other solutions

#9 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1276 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:57 PM

...at this point the confidence level in this product from the performers POV is nil and we're returning the receiver and three transmitters and looking at other solutions

That's a crying shame, IMHO, Sidecut...

Don't misunderstand me, ...it's not that I'm in any way denigrating your (only too understandable) disappointment, frustration or even downright rage at the misery you've been through with gear that should simply work, as is, "straight out of the box".

(I know that I'd have almost certainly felt the same in your position.)

It's just that a "run" of faulty cables would undoubtedly cause similar problems with anyone's beltpacks, regardless of manufacture.

Accordingly, I'd humbly ask you to consider the "background" to this reference...

...my friend Neil Jason...  ...was the one who swore by these boxes...

...before possibly "throwing the baby out with the bath water".

I'm not only talking about the expense of those possible "other solutions", but also about the way that this digital technology is the only way to achieve a truly silent "switch over" between three beltpacks sharing the same channel when pre-mounted and configured for three different instruments.

What's more, it's my guess that Neil's experience hitherto matches that of countless other players who are absolutely delighted with the way that these systems deliver the "real and cable-like" sound of their instruments at a price far below anything comparable, so I'd urge you to talk more with him...

...and also (more importantly, from my totally independent point of view) to post any system that you may find to be better suited to this purpose than Line 6's Relay and XD-V digital systems.  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users