Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

4 cable method - horrid feedback

gordonac30

Hi, hope you can help

I connect my Marshall SL5 (which doesn't have an effects loop), into a Fryette Power Station (which does), and then back through the speaker in the SL5. I use the 4 cable method to connect my hd500x. So far, so good. Patches sound fine.

The problem is, when I switch to the patch to select the SL5 I get really bad feedback and have to reduce the presence and the treble on the SL5, which destroys the SL5 tone I love. I've tried altering the volume of the effects send/mix in the patch, but this doesn't solve the problem. Any ideas what can try?

Many thanks

Gordon

So you're having a problem when you try to select a Marshall SL5 combo amp and run it through another Power amp ?  How are you connecting the SL5 to the Fryette Power amp ?  From what you explained you're connecting a PreAmp/PowerAmp and running it through another PowerAmp.  Yeah that would feedback and should have blown up.

Does the amp section of the combo plug in to the speaker section? This is the only way I can imagine things working. It wouldn't be 4CM the way I'm thinking though. Pod>Poweramp>Speaker, bypassing the preamp on the SL5

Hi, thanks for the thoughts and concern!

I checked the Fryette manual and I'm connecting the combo and PS correctly, so there shouldn't be a problem there. I was applying the principles of the 4cm on top of that. Tried it again last night, and tweeked a few things which seemed to improve it. I suppose it's just a matter of getting it just right.

Thanks again

ok let's get a few things worked out.  This amp has FX Send and Returns.  I couldn't find anything like a Speaker out or Speaker in.  Are you using the FX Send to your Power amp ?

You should use the Emulated Line Out to the Power amp then have the Power amp return and power the speaker, from what I can tell.