Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Odd naming bug

vindaloo

Trying to rename a preset that's called "New Preset". In the save menu I rename it "Hendrix" and clear out any remaining unused letters, in this case there is an "et" at the end that gets deleted. I then save the preset, and it saves and displays it correctly. However, if you try to re-save the preset what I see is "Hendrix et". This is repeatable, no matter how many times I update the name this keeps showing up.

(1) I was able to somewhat duplicate this bug. So. (2) You are not crazy.

I found if I hit clear a few more times than I really should need to ( 2-3 more times after the last character is gone) then it wouldn't come back after I hit save.

Yes, I've seen this also.  I haven't had a chance to try to isolate why/when it occurs.  It definitely doesn't get stored with the preset; instead, it seems to be a scratchpad buffer of memory that previously contained the name of a preset whose name had more characters.  I think one way I see it is if I import a preset from the editor and change the name to something shorter.  Then if I make a change and save it from the unit, I see the extra characters.  I just ignore them and they don't "stick" with the preset.  I'm still on 1.06.0.

I noticed this as well.

What I really wish would be to replace the clear function by insert. I decide to identify my presets by starting the names by JVM , ART, PA, etc and I had to rename from first charater.....

I know. That's OCD...

I've seen this too. Like RPascarella, I've just been ignoring it because it doesn't affect anything. And once Helix is turned off and back on, whatever memory is being used for this is cleared. 1.06.5 firmware.

I've also seen a similar thing with the IR slots (on earlier firmware than 1.06.5), only it persisted between power cycles. I remember trying the "Clear" function to no effect. I don't mess around with the IRs very much, so only seen it a couple of times and the details are vague. It was a while ago.

I did reset everything when I went to 1.06, but not 1.06.5. Frankly I find it to be a pain in the butt that I have to erase all of my global settings after each update, and there's no way to back up the global settings (tuner offsets, eq, etc).

• Upvote 1

I am on 1.06.5 and I have done the globals reset and I have also seen this problem. In fact, just happened again to me saving a preset last night. It doesn't seem to really do anything bad though. I am connected to my computer although the Helix editor was not open at the time. Not sure if being connected to the computer has anything to do with it. I haven't checked to see if the extra characters go away if I turn the Helix off and back on. I'll try that tonight when I get home.

Edit--I turned the Helix off and back on and the preset was named correctly without the additional characters.

I saw this also. When I saved an existing preset to a new position, modified it, then saved it with a new name, the last 3 characters from the previous name in that slot were visible, and I deleted them. The name saved and displayed properly. When I edited again and saved, those 3 characters were back. This is new behavior since fw 1.06.5. Heads up.

Edit - I did the suggested reset when I did the fw update when it came out, and was not hooked up to the pc with USB when doing my editing last night. The preset I was replacing was named "New Preset Dummy" - preset was what I did when the "New Presets" were being placed in wrong places after a reset/reload from backups. I would place an amp only in the preset and I named them "New Preset Dummy" as place holders. When I worked on the new one, the last 3 characters "mmy" showed up when saving each time.

Dave