Photo

Rechargeable Batteries For Xd-v35

batteries rechargeable

Best Answer jefflhall , 27 August 2013 - 10:24 AM

Thank you for your responses gentlemen.  Definitely gives me something to think about.

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 jefflhall

jefflhall

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 11:45 AM

I just purchased the Line 6 XD-V35 for my church.  It will be used every Sunday morning, evening, and on Wednesdays for about 2 hours each day.  I wanted to know if there was a recommended rechargeable battery that works best with this microphone.  Buying new batteries every month or so could be quite costly.

Thanks

#2 dboomer

dboomer

Line 6 Staff

• 2516 posts

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:47 PM

NiMH batteries about 2600mAh sized.  You must be careful not to go bigger as they may not fit the transmitters.

This type of battery will get stronger at about the 10th charge-discharge cycle.

The battery warning LEDs will not be accurate with this type of battery as the chemistry of it discharges at a different rate.

#3 RonMarton

RonMarton

Power User

• Line 6 Expert
  • 1270 posts
  • LocationSydney, Australia.

Posted 08 August 2013 - 02:16 PM

NiMH batteries about 2600mAh sized. You must be careful not to go bigger as they may not fit the transmitters.

This type of battery will get stronger at about the 10th charge-discharge cycle.

The battery warning LEDs will not be accurate with this type of battery as the chemistry of it discharges at a different rate.

...But most of us really loathe them, Jeff !

Not just because of the way they'll "self discharge" at an alarming and "non-metered" rate between your twice weekly usages, but also because of the discipline that they'll impose on each and every user for them to have a chance at surviving for anything like their rated number of cycles ...and I'm not talking about just XD-V use, but use with ANY "mission critical" electronic gear.

...Buying new batteries every month or so could be quite costly...

In practice, my friend, ...not really.

Having an accurate "fuel gauge" that flashes a genuine "forty minutes to go red warning" when using alkalines means that replacements are far fewer and (maybe even more importantly) far easier to schedule than you'd initially expect.

Rechargeables' nasty habit of reading "great, ...still great, ...plenty of time to go" and then only flashing a warning minutes from total collapse is a truly major pain in you-know-where. :( ;)

Also, buying "ten and twenty packs" of non-counterfeit "Duracell" or "Eveready" from reputable high-turnover outlets (be they supermarkets or hardware outlets) renders the cost comparable, or maybe even cheaper, than nickel metal-hydrides, ...even when going for the "premium" or "ultra long life" versions ...and bearing in mind that, unlike rechargeables, those alkaline AAs typically have a shelf life in excess of ten years.

#4 jefflhall

jefflhall

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 August 2013 - 10:24 AM   Best Answer

Thank you for your responses gentlemen.  Definitely gives me something to think about.

#5 dougpke

dougpke

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 05:18 AM

We have 20 wireless mics and use NiMh batteries in all of them. Those microphones are separated into 5 systems, four in each system. Each microphone take (2) AA's, so we have 8 AA's in the microphones, and a pack of 8 charged in the mic case. Each time we pick up / drop off a system I check that 8-pack in the mic case, and swap it out with a fresh pack if it needs it. When our guys replace batteries in a microphone, they point the positive end down in the battery case, so by just looking at it, I can tell whether it needs to be swapped out yet. Back at home we have three 8-battery chargers. We charge them back up, put them in a case, and put them in a ziplock bag in the van, for when I do my rounds.

We are just in the process of switching from Shure to Line 6 wireless, but with the Shure, just to be safe, we would automatically switch out the batteries when the battery indicator displayed three bars or less for a four hour gig. That way, we never had to worry about a wireless going dead in the middle of a show. This system works for me extremely well, as long as I remember to check the battery packs in the mic cases during my rounds..... ;-)

I can't say that I have had the problem of a battery going dead suddenly like mentioned. But I will say that there's no way in hell that you will get "up to 1000 charges" like many of the manufacturers claim. And I do have my share of bad batteries..... I test each one to be sure as they come out of the charger and go into a battery case.

They do also have "low discharge" NiMh batteries now, that hold their charge for 30 days or more, whereas the standard ones lose about 40% of their charge in that time period.....

I'm sure you could do what I do on a much smaller scale. Just make sure you always have spares charged and ready to go.....

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: batteries, rechargeable

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users