Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Dual amp sounds different from same amp single (behind mixer)

Onomatopoeia

This might be a slightly stupid question but I can't figure it out.

I have been running a dual amp settup  (GK sim with big ampeg cabs) for my bass and I think it sounds really good. The setup is basicly to different paths (effect wise) with a pair of the same amp model, with the exakt same settings. I did this settup just for keeping some clean signal when using distortion. The downside to this setup is that it takes a lot of DSP and if I want to make some slight adjustments, I have to do it twice and thats a pain in the lollipop. So I thought that the I would get the same result when keeping the dual paths, but removing one amp block and placing the one left right behind the mixer. Now I'm able to have the same settup but without the mentioned hussle right?

As this sounds VERY simular to the dual settup something is missing and I can't place my finger on it. It just doesn't sound as "full". Why is that? It should sound the same when compensating for the loss of volume?

I have the mixer panned full left and right, and tried to compensate for the volume change with the channel volume and even master volume, but it still sounds different. Is the answer to this just that two of the same amps togheter sounds better than just one, or am I missing something here?

/Danne

IMO the sound difference is mainly due to the phase relationship between the models you had before with the 2 amps, which now is missing with just one amp..

phase relationships can be nice or bad depending on the models involved, individual pan and volume settings, but surely affect the tone and can be used as a creative tool

So there is no easy fix like figuring out the differens in volume between having two of the same amp vs just one of the two?

I believe not, but IMO with some different eq settings you should be able to get very close results to your previous tone..

consider also that when a model is moved beyond the mixer often as a result is driven harder, ie it gets a hotter input signal which may also account for some tone differences

But the signal shouldn't be hotter when the panning is hard left/right?

yes, theoretically the signal shouldn't be hotter if the mixer faders are at zero dB and the panning is hard left/right, but I'm not 100% sure, it would be better to check it..

however it came to mind that before the patch strategy change you had an amp responding to a path A full signal, and another amp responding to a path B full signal..

now you have a single amp responding to a path A partial signal and to a path B partial signal, in any case the results should be different

And how would one go about to compensate for this faktor?