Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Buy a JTV 59?

Some find the sound using the VDI cable to be a little more harsh, or brittle, than the 1/4" connection. That's a matter of individual perception and perhaps some would use different words to describe it, but there is a slight sonic difference.

Technically I think it's mostly attributable to two things:

- a standard guitar cable carrying its analog signal, especially a long one, can contribute to creating a signal difference vs. the digital signal carried by the VDI cable, and

- the 1/4" connection has a parameter associated with it related to impedance. The VDI connections does not have this parameter.

• Upvote 2

No , in fact many people say it is the opposite, a guitar cable sounds better than the vdi but obviously the vdi has the advantage of powering the guitar and allows switching of the models by the pod.

There is a thread in here somewhere about how the vdi adds more brightness and can make tones sound thinner

I haven't compared in depth but I create all my patches using the vdi, I guess if I created patches with a guitar cable and then switched to vdi the differences might be more obvious