Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Bundle file with model volumes leveled

Anyone used this or something similar?  I found a link to this forum in a post here on the Line6 forum.  It's not as active as this one, but resources are resources.  He has individual bnk files which I presume are model files as used by workbench, plus a bundle of all.

JTV - All Models Output Adjusted to match

bnk files are a Bank - a set of 5 Patches on the same knob position. A Patch is a single guitar and pickup combination.

That forum is the only JTV Patch exchange resource there is (don't know why Line 6 don't support one) I expect that most people will have registered and looked, but it depends on what you want to achieve with the JTV how much you will use other peoples patches or banks.

Personally I don't want balanced volumes because the original volumes are the relative volumes of the original guitars and that gives you more variety into the same amp, but sometimes it is nice to get somebody's model of a different guitar if only to see what they have done.

It is worth reading up about the impact of things like Volume and Tone Pot resistance and Tone capacitor values and then trying making changes.

Personally I used Workbench to make a bits and pieces guitar (Custom 1) that is completely different depending on pickup position (patch) selected - for example: LP Bridge, 89 Bridge, Jazzbox Neck, Strat Neck + Mid on masonite (very bright), Tele Neck.  

The different levels on this virtual guitar mean that a point of breakup Amp will be clean for the Neck through to Mid positions but breaks up in the Bridge positions with the 89 being mid focussed and the LP being fat; very different sounds in each position. But this guitar while it suits my current band needs for completely different sounds in sections of the same song would be a complete waste of time to anybody else.

Anyone used this or something similar? I found a link to this forum in a post here on the Line6 forum. It's not as active as this one, but resources are resources. He has individual bnk files which I presume are model files as used by workbench, plus a bundle of all.

JTV - All Models Output Adjusted to match

Try it if you want, but there's no guarantee that what sounded "balanced" on this guy's JTV will sound balanced on yours. In fact, it's almost guaranteed to not be the case. Piezo outputs vary too much for this to be of much use to anyone but the guy who did the grunt work.

Besides, unless you're the most well-rounded player in the universe, equally versed in every style of guitar playing since Django, you're gonna settle in on just a few of the models that fit your needs anyway. Who cares if the banjo model's volume is "balanced" if you're not using it?

I can see myself using the magnetic pickups, both acoustic and electric 12-string models, and possibly the Gretch models.   I'll be using my HD500x, hopefully with the longer/stronger VDI cable at gigs so changing POD patches changes guitar model.  But levels from patch to patch ( song to song ) do need to be fairly close for the benefit of our sound techs.

I don't like models matching volume levels because it kind of breaks the idea of emulating the guitars. A single coil being quieter than a humbucker is part of the sound, in my opinion, and bumping that up changes that.

There are some tweaks I did, but not that much. I did bump up the volume on most of the models, but in general, they're still varied. More or less single coiled guitars being a little bit quieter and humbucker guitars being loud.

It's all personal preference though, so have at it however you want. Whatever you can do to make you happy with the guitar!

I'll be using my HD500x, hopefully with the longer/stronger VDI cable at gigs so changing POD patches changes guitar model. 

Not hopefully ... definitely, absolutely, compulsory.

The cable provided with the guitar is ok for workbench use as long as you are sitting down and being carefull but you really must be using an Ethercon cable (Ethernet with the XLR style protection on the jacks) for any live use even if you are not jumping around like Nils Lofgren. The RJ sockets are not strong enough and you will damage either the Guitar or the HD sockets if you pull the cable tight.

It doesn't have to be Line 6 Branded VDI cable, anything that is Ethercon will do.

• Upvote 1