Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

JTV Variax Users: how do you pair amp models to guitar models?

Indianrock2020

I'm curious how POD users are pairing up guitar models with amp models.

I'll be using my HD500x and assume I'd use my normal favorite amps for the magnetic pickups and jtv models like Lester.  For acoustic possibly a clean Fender amp model, the Roland Jazz Chorus amp or maybe no amp at all.  For Chime 12-string, maybe a vox amp model.

The worst thing to do with modeling gear is to make assumptions about pairing this amp with that guitar model, or that amp with this mic/cab combination. Just because their real-world counterparts react a certain way, doesn't mean that their digital evil twins will yield the same results when similarly paired.

Sometimes the last thing in the world that you'd think of, is what ends up being your "go-to". You just have to allow time to experiment with it all, and try combinations that might not seem to make sense...and trying to guess at it without gear in hand is a colossal waste of time.

• Upvote 1

... especially when you have models of amps and guitars that you have never used in real life - there are tricks to making them work that you may not know.  For example "an AC30 is a really clean amp" err no it isn't, but it can be set to be, in the same way that most of the metal amps can become quite good clean amps if you back the gain right off.

And really don't be afraid to try amp and cab combinations that make no sense in the real world either.

For Acoustic just use an EQ or two to tame the overpowing frequencies, Tube Comp/Studio Pre and a bit of verb.  You can also use the Acoustic Amp if you have the Model Pack.

... especially when you have models of amps and guitars that you have never used in real life

Yup....I have no problem admitting that I have never played MOST of the real amps modeled in this thing. I did have a JCM800 years ago, but that's about it. I was a rack-gear player for many years before FRFR...various tube preamp/multi-fx/power amp combinations, so I'm quite used to sculpting the tones I'm after. Never much cared who's logo was on the front, as long as I got the sounds I needed. So when it came to the POD, it was all just "let's see what this one does"...

• Upvote 1