Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

L2m Stage Monitor For Pod Hd500?

lowyaw

What are the benefits of running L2m as my stage monitor as opposed to any other similar priced wedge?

Edit: may be, I should make it alittle more clear.

I plan to run a monitor as my own personal stage monitor, for guitar only - left channel from HD500 goes to FOH board, right channel - to the wedge in question, then through linked out to the FOH mixing board. I know that there is a "electric guitar" mode on the L2m, but I think I don't want additional "2x12 combo voicing" as I run full amp models and want FRFR monitor. I expected stagesource series to be a great company for my HD, but upon reading the specs, I'm not so sure anymore.

Anyone?

Edited by lowyaw

I think the L2m would be a great choice.

Have you considered the following setup:

- HD500 L and R XLR outputs go straight to FOH

- HD500 L6 Link to L2m. Set L2m to PA/Reference mode (you're right - you don't want Eectric Guitar mode for exactly the reason you mention). The L6 Link connection can be louder than the analog outputs from the HD500; you will likely need to keep the L2m volume at a relatively low setting.

That would allow you full stereo signal to FOH that can be controlled independently by the FOH sound guy, and the option to add a 2nd L2m in future if you want an additional, or stereo, stage monitor. The L6 Link connections will handle the L/R monitor assignment(s) automatically.

Have you considered the following setup:

- HD500 L and R XLR outputs go straight to FOH

- HD500 L6 Link to L2m. Set L2m to PA/Reference mode

Assuming that the HD500 output mode is "Studio/Direct" Rigth? What about Amp Models? Full or Pre?

- My problem is that when I connect the HD500 to the L2, The HD500 changes the output mode to "Combo Power Amp" automatically. Changing the sound dramatically, Also setting it like this wont work with the Variax Acoustic sounds.

( I have the JTV69 + HD500X + L2t ).

Any Advise?

Yes - HD500 Output should be Studio/Direct. This is appropriate for the Full amp models, including mic and cab selections. This is best for your FOH feeds as well as your L2m.

I know the default behaviour when connecting HD500 and L2m via L6 Link is as you describe: HD500 to Combo and L2m to Electric Guitar. However, I feel there must be some way to override these defaults - but I don't know what it is. Perhaps you simply have to change them manually after connecting. It's a global setting on each device, meaning you only have to do it once (not per preset) per session after connecting.

I will consult the manuals when I have some time. Meanwhile, I suggest you look into it too.

Hi guy's

I asked something similar else where and was told to leave it as the L6 link would change it as needed. I have experimented a bit and I did notice if I put the variax to an electric model the l2m sets to electric guitar and when I called up an acoustic model it switched to acoustic guitar. The settings are also being saved on the 500 on a preset basis.

I have to say though I'm struggling to get a sound I'm 100% happy with but that could be my uselessness at setting effects I've never really used a lot up till now.

PP

• 3 months later...

Hi, thinking of buying an L2M to complement my hd500 as a full range guitar rig. My only concern is that if I tweak my patches for this speaker, what would be the best way to use it in a live setup? I know I can just use it as a stage monitor and simultaneously run ithe HD500 to the house PA, as described in previous posts:

HD500 L and R XLR outputs go straight to FOH

HD500 L6 Link to L2m. Set L2m to PA/Reference mode 

however what if the patches coming from the house PA sound different or not to my liking when run direct from the HD? I have no control over the quality or speakers used in a house PA. Could we just mic the l2m and then run through the PA to ensure that my patches sound as close to the sounds I tweaked as possible?

Thanks in advance for any advice that you can provide.

I also am thinking about an L2m (have HD500 and JTV), but justifying the spend at the moment is rather hard

Micing the L2m is tricky because it has two speakers each with a completely different range of the sound (bass/mid and tweater) and the L3m is worse because it has 3 speakers.  

What you may want to try is HD500 via L6Link to L2m and then use the "Balanced Mix Out XLR" from the L2m to PA.

There is also a dedicated support forum for the Dream Rig that might have the answers...