Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Jtv69s model - 2010

Difficult to say. The earlier ones had some issues with the necks (which are terrible anyway imho, but that's largely subjective and another discussion entirely)...poorly dressed and over-beveled frets, causing either or both E strings to slip off the neck under certain circumstances, QA issues with knobs, etc. The bridge on the 69 was slightly redesigned at some point, but the details escape me at the moment. Probably a non-issue.

The overall design is really unchanged though, and firmware is updatable no matter how old it is.

If it's used, play it first if possible...people are weird and stupid ;), so there's no telling what might have been done to it, but that goes for any guitar under the sun.

The only difference I am aware of is the way the wires on the trem block are routed to the board. The early version had some issues with that and the newer version was an improvement. Mine is a 2012.

Even if it's for purely aesthetic reasons, it's worth the money just to be rid of that kayak paddle headstock, with "James Tyler" emblazoned across it 43 times...surely once would have sufficed.

Thanks for the replies!

It IS used, mint condition from Guitar Center. Ordered it, THEN found out it was 2010. Has not arrived & I want no problems. And if the newer models are much improved, I'd rather change it up. Any further advice would help.

Rick

Also, is the processor better now, etc?

Guts should all be the same, afaik...but it very likely has ancient firmware on it. I wouldn't walk out of there with it unless they update it for you. Firmware updates are a bit dodgy sometimes. There's no telling where that thing has been for the last 6 years.

As for the "mint condition" designation that they've promised you...there's only one way to tell, but I tend to take anything a salesman tells me (particularly one peddling used stuff) with about 11 lbs of salt.

Rewolf48 It has 3 single coils & SAYS it's 2010. Maybe mislabeled. I have cancelled the order as of today. Better to save up for a new one or newer used one.

Thanks for all the help!

Sweetwater is a better way to go, imho. Excellent customer service, 30 days to decide if you like it, and they tack on an extra year to the factory warranty.

Got it. Only reason I went to GC is so I could take it there for any repairs. Didn't want to get into shipping, etc. But they do charge for extra coverage. I do plan to get one down the line & Sweetwater is excellent.

Thanks!

Ha! Good one!

What I meant was that I can drive over there instead of shipping it somewhere. I have never had anything repaired there before, always my trusted luthier. The 'authorized' variax place around here was an hour away & took too long to finish! But that may always be the case w/ variax. Hope to get something soon!

The 'authorized' variax place around here was an hour away & took too long to finish! But that may always be the case w/ variax. Hope to get something soon!

Imho, "authorized service centers" are all suspect. Has nothing to do with L6, per se...getting a f#$!$@-up dishwasher fixed properly is just as much of a crap-shoot. Just because L6 sprinkles a place with holy water, or whatever it is they do to anoint them "authorized", doesn't mean that they know what day of the week it is. I've got one less than 10 minutes from me, and I'll ship gear to the bottom of the Marianas Trench for repairs before I go back there.