Thanks for the info. Now that you have made an idea of the sound I'm looking for, and I must say you have a very trained ear - hats off to you.
For me trying out mics is quite difficult, because the music stores around here are not very customer friendly, and so I have do "take the gamble" and figure out the best solution just by talking to experienced people like you and internet videos/samples.
Just wondering about smth:
- I have heard the EV410 and 510 condenser wired mics on the internet and they seemed to me they could offer a good sound for me. What is the main compatibility issue that they don't work with the Line 6 HH? Is is mechanical related (thread) or electrical?
Those capsules fit the Lectrosonics HH, so why wouldn't they fit the Line6 - so I'm guessing - there MIGHT be an electrical problem (power requirements, impedance adapting, pin arrangement on the thread, etc.....). If you know the problem, you can go into details, because I'm an electronics engineer so I can understand the tech stuff.
MAYBE DON BOOMER CAN CONFIRM THIS (OR NOT).
I have to make a "wise" decision so that I have the best compromise between money value/sound value capsule, WITHOUT trying it out.
SO FAR, my list is quite simple:
- Heil PR22/35, very compatible, but is it the sound i want? And I will choose them only if they could fit my tone above 85% (I have given M. Buble the 100% percent I am looking for, with his Beta 87C)
- Lectrosonics HHC / EV510 / EV410 - I like the samples on the internet, I think ALL fit me sound wise, but do they fit the Line 6 HH?
- Shure Beta 87A/C (Buble uses C, and he sounds FABULOUS) will fit me, but GAIN PROBLEM with HH (i can fix it with the transistor preamp I saw on this forum)
- SM86/87 will work, but sound wise I'll leave them maybe towars the end of my mic option list.
So Ron, If you were to make such a hard decision, and believe me it's hard because I can't try the mics, what would be the best compromise from your point of view?
I am also considering a new GLXD Shure with Beta 87A/C, (2.4GHz, digital) but I don't like the fact that is uses only their proprietary battery pack for the transmitter, and to me the RF specs don't seem so good as Line 6's. I love the Line6 Wireless so much, and it will be very heard for me to give it up just because of the capsule. That's why I am so focused on 3'rd party capsules.
But if the compromise isn't the BEST one, i'll switch to the GLXD - I preffer dealing with an inferior RF and battery system (in my opinion) than an inferior SOUND.