Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Insert Jack for Pod HD 500

SonicHakeem

I have a Crate stack and head with an input, insert, and two jacks for a foot switch.

Upon research I can see that the Insert jack is for effect pedals, and I need an insert jack or a y-cable (which I haven't gotten to try out yet)

I haven't been able to find anything related to these insert jacks and the pod HD500 and I'm wondering if the pod would work if I somehow plugged it into the insert jack and where would I plug the two jacks on the Y side to the pod?

Sorry if I don't make sense. I'm not sure I understand how the fx return stuff works on amps and the pod.

The POD doesn't have a way to activate regular amp channel switches, the jacks are for connecting a second expression pedal to the POD.

Switch Gizmo

http://www.rjmmusic.com/products/switch-gizmo/

To do it via midi. For about the same price (or less used) you can also use a Behringer FCB1010, which will give you a lot more for the money, but is a pretty big unit if floor space is an important consideration. You'll need to refer to the Crate manual AND the FCB manual to see if it'll do everything the Crate requires.

This is a case where a picture is NOT worth 1000 words. If the picture showed the specific model of the amp, I might be inclined to read the manual for you, just because it's snowing out and I'm bored, but, really, dude, you're gonna have to READ THE MANUAL! All I can tell from the picture is that it's NOT MIDI, which means you'll either need a separate standard footswitch (or the Crate footswitch) OR the Switch Gizmo, OR the FCB but, if you wanna go MIDI with this, you're gonna have'ta read AT LEAST one manual!

This appears to be a standard insert channel like one would see on a mixing board for an external mono effect.  Basically it uses a specially wired insert cable consisting of a 1/4" TRS plug whichsplits into two 1/4" TS plugs, one for the out signal and one for the return signal.  The outbound TS plug goes into the effect and inbound TS plug returns from the effect back into the 1/4" TRS plug.  I suppose you could try plugging it into the guitar line in and return back through the 1/4" mono output but I'd check the manual to see if all the impedences match up.

EDIT:  Oops...looks like hughanico beat me to it while I was typing......

Two replies for the audio insert/fx loop. One for channel switching. SPKR is obvious. Anybody know what the DSP plug is about?

Just guessing here, but given it's under the label of "Footswitch" I suspect it's some form of proprietary switching mechanism used by Crate for changing effects...thus the DSP for Digital Signal Processing.  Probably similar to the footswitch mechanisms used on many Fender amps.

Hello, sorry for the late reply. Went out to buy a Send/Return Insert cable that works like hurghanico described and pictured. I followed the diagrams exactly with the cable and his descriptions and everything works! 

What I wanted was to do the 4-cable method, but I thought the Insert jack was going to hinder me, turns out buying a Stereo to Mono 1/4 inch cable is what I needed to complete the method, and everything sounds great, now that I can bypass my amp's preamp. 

rd2rk, those 2 jacks are specifically for the footswitch that came with it. The footswitch has 2 inputs/jacks as well. Not sure what they mean I just now you plug both ends on the same colors and the footswitch works.