Photo

Hd500x Presets

Best Answer djspleen , 11 August 2013 - 02:38 PM

I believe they are the same presets, and the 500 patches do indeed work with the 500X.  When opening with the Edit software, just change it to view all files (*.*) OR change the file extension (which I've not yet done).

Go to the full post

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Guitarzan

Guitarzan

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 08:27 AM

Are the presets included with the 500X any better than the 500 presets? We know that was a weakness - anything change for the better? If so, are they compatible with the 500? I'm curious if you could just change the filename and they would be.

#2 djspleen

djspleen

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationLancaster County, PA

Posted 11 August 2013 - 02:38 PM   Best Answer

I believe they are the same presets, and the 500 patches do indeed work with the 500X.  When opening with the Edit software, just change it to view all files (*.*) OR change the file extension (which I've not yet done).

#3 mralmostpopular

mralmostpopular

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:10 PM

They are the same presets. I don't know that I would call them a weakness. A company like Line 6 can't possible make presets that would work for every guitar/venue. Any device you get is going to have a couple decent presets and a bunch of stuff you'd never use. The power of the device comes in making your own.

#4 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14795 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA

Posted 11 August 2013 - 03:11 PM

he was talking about using 500x tones on a 500... the factory ones... are the same... however, 500x tones can exceed the capabilities of the 500 and won't always work.

#5 djspleen

djspleen

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • LocationLancaster County, PA

Posted 11 August 2013 - 06:21 PM

I was answering strictly from the pre-loaded patch standpoint.  A customized tone designed on a 500X in theory would work on a 500, but there is the 500 DSP limitation you mentioned....right.

#6 Guitarzan

Guitarzan

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:00 AM

Yes, I was talking about factory presets. Always looking for great tones, so thought I would ask if there's anything new here, and there isn't apparently.

FYI, it's old news here that the HD500 factory presets are almost universally bad - the worst of any product previously made by Line6, but not looking for a debate. Just an accepted fact by most. 

#7 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14795 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 05:05 AM

I'm glad you are here to voice the opinion (err fact, according to you) of "most"

5zKXz.gif

Yes, I was talking about factory presets. Always looking for great tones, so thought I would ask if there's anything new here, and there isn't apparently.

FYI, it's old news here that the HD500 factory presets are almost universally bad - the worst of any product previously made by Line6, but not looking for a debate. Just an accepted fact by most. 

#8 Guitarzan

Guitarzan

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 149 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:34 AM

Haha caught my lack of precision in posting, good for you!  Really meant that it's fact most who've commented on the boards with their opinion on HD500 presets feel this way...it's old news.

#9 argusvidicon

argusvidicon

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 17 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:29 PM

I'm happy enough with my POD HD500 that soon I will get a second one.  
It will be the new HD500x.  I will want to transfer presets(tones) between the two.

I understand DSP Limitation of the HD500 compared to the HD500X.  
My question is will there be any issue having both edit software versions on the same computer, as well as drivers for both POD units?

#10 Robzebr

Robzebr

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 92 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:51 PM

They are the same presets. I don't know that I would call them a weakness. A company like Line 6 can't possible make presets that would work for every guitar/venue. Any device you get is going to have a couple decent presets and a bunch of stuff you'd never use. The power of the device comes in making your own.

Yeah but would it have been a big deal to do the following....?

How many models are there... 30ish....   Take each model and make 5 patches for each..... totally pristine clean... light overdrive... distortion... clean with reverb... overdrive with reverb and delay... (something like that)

... Have somebody do it that was fluent in guitar.. and who also knew the software...

This way the new owner can hit the ground running... they could still experiment and make patches on their own... but at least they are much further on their way...

How many posts have you read that said that the newbie owner was ready to pack it in with the 500 because they couldn't dial in a tone... ?   I've read quite a few... If you give them good usable tones up front for each model... the enjoyment factor is immediate instead of the feelings of frustration...

A one page cheat sheet .. that started with ... WHat are are you plugging in to?  Then pick these settings.

Most of the posts from new owners are either about .. dialing in a tone... or setup configuration... which are very related.. If you have the output setting wrong.. then that can impact dialing in a good tone...

Had they done that... 50% of the posts on here... wouldn't be here...

#11 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14795 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 04:17 PM

no problem at all... i think i have EVERY version of edit on my PC.

I'm happy enough with my POD HD500 that soon I will get a second one.  
It will be the new HD500x.  I will want to transfer presets(tones) between the two.

I understand DSP Limitation of the HD500 compared to the HD500X.  
My question is will there be any issue having both edit software versions on the same computer, as well as drivers for both POD units?

#12 dx2ylhv1a

dx2ylhv1a

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:25 AM

Where can I download them from?

Thanks

#13 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14795 posts

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:28 AM

just install the latest firmware, and tell it not to preserve your presets and all will be installed to your device.

be sure and backup your presets first if you want to save them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users