Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Complete newbie. Trying to connect pod HD500x to fender tube amp. Help!

doorsfloydzep

Hello. I'm a complete newbie when it comes to this digital stuff. I'm trying to connect my pod HD 500x to a fender hot rod deluxe III tube amp. I guess I'm doing so.etching wrong. I have the 1/4" out switch on the board set to amp. My guitar is rugged to 'guitar in' and the cable out of the 1/4" out mono on the board is connected to the 'amp in'. I feel like an idiot and am frustrated so any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Your setup looks correct.

Forgive me if I am reading too much into your self-proclaimed newbie-ness, but there's an important thing you need to understand here. If you are connecting the output of the HD500x into the front panel Guitar In jack of your amp you are potentially using two guitar amps and cabs - the modeling in the POD as well as your physical amp. This will rarely sound good.

You should either:

- use the POD for FX only, and your physical amp will provide the preamp and power amp/cab section, or

- neutralize your physical amp tone stack as much as possible and avoid using any built-in FX on your amp. Use an HD500x preamp model with no cab/mic simulation (your physical amp provides that), or

- connect your POD output to the FX Return on your amp. Again, use a preamp,model on the POD. In this case you are completely bypassing your physical amp's preamp section, hence no doubling up on the processing.

On the other hand, there really are no rules. The above are typical guidelines but feel free to experiment.

Thank you for your response. I appreciate it. I'm also wondering why I have no sound out my amp. I've plugged the HD500x into my laptop and used the edit program and presets worked but there's just no sound coming from my amp in regards to the HD500x. None of the volume knobs are zeroed out so idk what I'm doing so wrong.

I'm not currently connected to the PC. Only cables I have plugged into the 500x are in the 'guitar in', '1/4" out L/mono", and the power plug in. Everything seems plugged in correctly but there's just no sound from the 500x coming from my physical tube amp. Is the problem that i have just a single amp and no head? Maybe some setting is incorrect, I'll have to keep checking. Being new to this sort of stuff is just frustrating lol

Two things to try.

- check if you're getting a signal into the pod by putting it into tunes mode (holding tap tempo down). If no signal check that you haven't accidentally changed the patch inputs to something other than guitar. (Hold down view and then turn to page 3 of the settings).

- if there is signal, try the right 1/4 output to see if you're getting signal out of that.