Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

HD300 Noob Question - Lead Volume

pinkertonpark

Need some help from the pros.  Just recently started playing around with a HD300 to replace my pedal board.  I love the flexibility and portability.  However, I'm struggling with finding a good way to boost my leads.  EQ-ing isn't cutting it as well as I'd like. 

Can you guys give me some tips on how you accomplish a boosted signal for leads?

The best tip is: 

DON'T

Boosting your solos in anyway except tone or effect is only going to work in situation that you are currently in (your bedroom). 

If you gave yourself, at bedroom levels, a 10% volume boost for solos, it may sound great. But that is because your amp is pumping out 10 watts of power and needs that much of a volume difference to cut through. But if you were to someday play in a band, your amp would be putting out 50-100 watts. Your 10% increase is no longer needed, and it would be increased 5-10x as much as it was previously.   

I guess that a good way to describe what I am talking about is.... 

Plug in a set of headphones. Put them 3 feet away from your head. Play. Adjust the volume level that you need to hear it. You'll probably need to turn it up fairly loud. 

Now, without making any volume adjustments, put on your headphones. It will be too loud. 

Sometimes I use the Studio EQ (with all filters set to flat) with 5dB gain I turn on/off during solos. It adds no coloration. Sometimes I use the Mid-Focus EQ to boost only the mids 5dB if I need a little coloration. I use the XLR outputs to connect to a PA so I don't use only the modeled amps, in case that makes any difference to you.

One thing I've done is use a compressor to boost the lead. Keep in mind, Pianoguy's comments are very valid. He has a lot of live experience and should be paid attention to. Having said that, I will use a compressor with the threshold and sustain set at 0. Set your "rhythm" level with the compressor off. Then with the compressor on, use the gain parameter to adjust your "lead" level. This is best done at playing levels and not bedroom levels. If you do set it at bedroom levels, don't forget to check it where ever you're live and adjust the compressor output accordingly.  

You may have to adjust the threshold and/or sustain to be effective. Just try to keep them as low as possible. The compressor will color your sound a smidge so it's not a perfect solution. I generally put the compressor right after the amp if and when I use this method. So now ya just engage the compressor for that lead boost.