Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Boogie MK5 and HD500x

rbrown1973

Hey everyone, I am new here and need to be pointed to the right place. I have a Boogie Mk5 and an HD500x. I have the 4 cable set up, as I would like to use the gain tones from the boogie as well as modeling from the L6. I *think* I have the 4 cable method correct as I can use my clean channel and the "Son of Plexi" setting and it sounds good. Problem is, I set the next setting (Spin to Win) with no effects and a disabled amp model and tried my channel 2 on the boogie and there's barely a sound coming out. Volume has no effect (I assume I am still bypassing the preamp in the boogie).

I can be more specific if you need. I would love to get this set up so I can get into the actual effect editing!

Thanks for any help you can give!

4cm Signal flow:

Guitar=>POD Guitar IN=>FX=>FX Loop Block=> POD FX Send=>MKV Guitar IN=>MKV Preamp=>MKV FX Loop Send=>POD FX Return L/Mono=>

FX=>POD 1/4" OUT with Switch set to AMP=>MKV FX Loop Return=>MKV Power Amp=>MKV Speaker

If you look at the properties of the FX Loop Block you'll see that there are Level settings for both send and receive. There's also a switch on the back of the POD that accommodates for Stompbox levels vs Rack Efx levels. There's also a Send Level knob on the MKV.

Since, if I had the money for a Boogie MKV I'd buy a new car instead, you're on your own as to what combination of level settings and switches will give you the best results. Have fun!

4cm Signal flow:

Guitar=>POD Guitar IN=>FX=>FX Loop Block=> POD FX Send=>MKV Guitar IN=>MKV Preamp=>MKV FX Loop Send=>POD FX Return L/Mono=>

FX=>POD 1/4" OUT with Switch set to AMP=>MKV FX Loop Return=>MKV Power Amp=>MKV Speaker

The HD500X doesn't do 4CM right out of the box. You have to insert the FX Loop block as needed - depending on your patch - to choose what FX are going to be pre Mk5 input, and what are in the Mk5 Fx loop. I would double-check your patches on the HD500x to make sure you've a) got the FX loop in the patch, and that it's in the right spot for what you want.

After that... it's all about getting the levels right as rd2rk said.

• 3 weeks later...

Like mentioned above, you're only missing the required POD FX loop block in your signal chain in your preset.  That turns on the POD's FX send jack which is plugged into your amp's input.  So your clean tone patch isn't actually giving you signal to your amp's preamp clean channel.  You're only getting the amp model son of plexi.  It also explains no signal on the next preset.  It's not global, the FX Loop block in the POD needs to be added per preset.