Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

MIDI over USB - tap tempo

kronda

Hi Guys,

anybody tried synchronizing tempo on Helix with MIDI CC from DAW? I used to this with POD HD and it worked fine but doesn't seem to work with Helix. Here is what I do:

Helix manual says Tap Tempo is MIDI CC #64 with values 64-127. So I assume any value in this range is fine. As DAWs often don't send the same CC value repeatedly, I send values 127-126-127-126 etc. in sequence. Nothing happens, preset tempo stays the same.

Just to check on something more obvious I change the CC to 57 (FS10) and voila, now the footswitch diode blinks rhytmically. So my setup seems fine, sending CCs works fine for #CC 57 but #CC 64 doesn't seem to affect Helix.

Anybody tried and succeeded or has any hints?

I'm on the latest firmware 1.10 and drivers (coming with Helix app 1.11). Helix is connected via USB to my Win 8.1 laptop. I tried sending the MIDI CC messages from FL Studio and Cubase, the same result (i.e. nothing...).

Thanks for any help.

I think I'm gonna raise a support ticket now...

I just tried now quickly with my MIDI foot controller (Behringer FCB1010) and the same result. I had it configured for tap tempo on POD HD Pro and it seems the configuration is exactly the same for Helix. So I was sending CC #64 with value 127 to Helix via standard MIDI cable and nothing...

Looks like a bug in Helix MIDI implementation to me. Anybody can confirm?

• 7 months later...

Confirmed as bug by Line 6 - Tap Tempo doesn't work over MIDI (both USB and MIDI IN). Should be fixable by firmware update, we just need to wait for it.

This bug doesn't appear to have been squashed with 2.10.0.

So, no tempo changes via MIDI CC, and no support for MIDI clock yet.

DANG!

The only workaround I've found is to setup snapshots for DAW tempo changes, and use CCs for snapshot changes, but that is messy and glitchy.

This bug doesn't appear to have been squashed with 2.10.0.

So, no tempo changes via MIDI CC, and no support for MIDI clock yet.

DANG!

The only workaround I've found is to setup snapshots for DAW tempo changes, and use CCs for snapshot changes, but that is messy and glitchy.

I can confirm that this bug is still present in 2.10.0.

I've been using the snapshot method and find that it usually works. I suppose usually working would qualify it as glitchy. I don't see the messy part of it though? It's only two midi events (two snapshot changes) sent from the DAW.

By messy, I mainly mean time-consuming. I've got songs that change tempo 10 or more times during a song, and use a MIDI control track to control Helix footswitches, presets, and snapshots. It would be a simple matter to change tempos using the CC64 commands in an event list, but it takes a lot more time to create the proper snapshots. I also have to save a separate preset with all the snapshots, dedicated to the particular song. Messy.

I am really happy with and appreciative of the range of MIDI support in the Helix (e.g. program changes, switch control, snapshots), but I do wish they would fix the Tap Tempo bug!

By messy, I mainly mean time-consuming. I've got songs that change tempo 10 or more times during a song, and use a MIDI control track to control Helix footswitches, presets, and snapshots. It would be a simple matter to change tempos using the CC64 commands in an event list, but it takes a lot more time to create the proper snapshots. I also have to save a separate preset with all the snapshots, dedicated to the particular song. Messy.

I am really happy with and appreciative of the range of MIDI support in the Helix (e.g. program changes, switch control, snapshots), but I do wish they would fix the Tap Tempo bug!

That does sound messy. Lol. It makes my head hurt just reading about it.

I can confirm that this bug is still present in 2.10.0.

I've been using the snapshot method and find that it usually works. I suppose usually working would qualify it as glitchy. I don't see the messy part of it though? It's only two midi events (two snapshot changes) sent from the DAW.

Ok, I'm officially confused. I thought the "MIDI CC to tap tempo" bug was fixed in pre-2.0 firmware, I used it in one of my songs for recording, I believe. Strange, maybe it was reintroduced with 2.0 or 2.1?

Ok, I'm officially confused. I thought the "MIDI CC to tap tempo" bug was fixed in pre-2.0 firmware, I used it in one of my songs for recording, I believe. Strange, maybe it was reintroduced with 2.0 or 2.1?

I think you're right in it being reintroduced. I can vaguely recall trying tap-tempo via midi pre-2.10 and got results that were at least reliable. When I tried with 2.10, I was getting tempos that were completely off and seemingly random.

• 3 weeks later...