Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Newbie FX loop query

luedmo

hello everyone,

new to Helix - all good so far, great UI and lots of potential

FX Loops

I haven't seen many comments, but on my first impressions I am getting a noticeable latency going out to FXLoops.

Understandable, as there there is a double conversion (D>A A>D) going out of the Helix > into pedals > back into the Helix. As a matter of interest - does anyone know the exact latency? The good old DL4 used to add 1mS. This feels like quite a bit more. I also feel this lag when I go through an analogue pedal, though of course it is a bit less.

fwiw, I am used to up to 4 H9s and have never felt this degree of lag. 

Obviously I can see it is going to be better if I change all my patches in the external pedal (Eventide H9) to being 100% wet if I want to use the FXloop 1/2 option. I can do that but...

...anyone have any ideas or can point me to a good thread, I'd be grateful!

Thanks,

hello everyone,

new to Helix - all good so far, great UI and lots of potential

FX Loops

I haven't seen many comments, but on my first impressions I am getting a noticeable latency going out to FXLoops.

Understandable, as there there is a double conversion (D>A A>D) going out of the Helix > into pedals > back into the Helix. As a matter of interest - does anyone know the exact latency? The good old DL4 used to add 1mS. This feels like quite a bit more. I also feel this lag when I go through an analogue pedal, though of course it is a bit less.

fwiw, I am used to up to 4 H9s and have never felt this degree of lag. 

Obviously I can see it is going to be better if I change all my patches in the external pedal (Eventide H9) to being 100% wet if I want to use the FXloop 1/2 option. I can do that but...

...anyone have any ideas or can point me to a good thread, I'd be grateful!

Thanks,

Some possibilities that jump to mind are a wet/dry routing or phasing issue, an issue with where the effects loop is placed in the effect chain, a long delay or reverb, or even an intermittent cable that is giving the illusion of latency. Or you could always have a defective unit but I would look to other causes first.

hey! Thanks GearHead

Yes, you're right about all those potential issues - but I tried the above with the exact same leads and it's the onset of each note, rather than any tails or delays that is clearly latent in "feel". In other words, in testing the loop I left the dry Helix signal at 0 and just listened back to the Mix from the FX loop. Noticeable latency, more than i am used to (4 x H9s generate a fair bit, believe me)

So I will edit my Eventide presets- where possible - to getting a 100% wet signal from the FX loops which will minimise any latency issue with reverb/delay and go on from there. It'll be there, but a lot less noticeable.

Either way, the helix sounds good and has great MIDI control

Anyone ever measured the FX loop latency? It'd be interesting to know if this is a "tweakable" from the Helix team