Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Ethernet cable from Variax to PC

No that won't work. Although the cable is a standard Ethernet cable the data it carries is not in the ITP protocol. Line 6 uses a proprietary protocol and your computer will not be able to understand the data. Furthermore, Workbench is designed to use a USB, not RJ-45, connection at your computer.

• Upvote 1

Your JTV-89 was shipped from Line 6 with the required Workbench hardware interface device. Are you the original owner? If so return to the retailer and demand the device. If you bought it used perhaps the seller still has it? In either case I hope you paid a discounted price because.......

Otherwise you will probably have to purchase a new one from the Line 6 Store (see link at top of this page).

• Upvote 1

I bought it used, but all that came with it is the charging cord.

It hasn't shipped yet, so I think I will just cancel the order.

I don't want to spend another $100 for a USB interface.

Every JTV was shipped with the USB interface so if they are not giving you one, you are not getting what it was shipped with.  If the deal is right, you might still want to buy it - and look around for an interface second hand.  Many folks use their Pod as the interface and they might be willing to part with the dongle.  It sure isn't worth $100!

• Upvote 1

What was the Variax connected to? If you were using a hi-gain amp with plenty of distortion then, yes, it doesn't matter much what guitar you use IMHO. It will all sound much the same. But with a relatively clean amp and settings the different tones of the Variax guitars are very clear and accurate.

• Upvote 1

I plugged into a Fender Bassbreaker, and kept the channel clean, so I could hear the differences.

I noticed the differences, but to my near tone deaf ears it was a change in volume & tone that could be accomplished with the knobs on the amp.

I've never been a person who could listen to a recording & think, "That's a Les Paul", or "That's a Strat".

The whole idea is lost on me, so I gave up and went home.

I guess I should have known that before driving 3 hours (round trip) to go check it out.