Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Sv-pre By Strymon

OmeRoon

Oh yes, the SV Pre! I STILL use my Spider valve MKI with the SV Pre installed as my #1 rig. It sounds AWESOME with my 2x12 Marshall with V30's and the M9 in the loop. Has all the stage volume for a mic'ed band. I wouldn't use my SV without it. I wish they would make more even by special request only! They make that series (MKI) come alive! Rick Miller who used to be a Line 6 big wig is working for Strymon now. They have grown so much in the last few years. Hmmm, maybe I can plant a bug in his ear... :)

cgtrox B)

Sorry brutha, no left overs and no custom made models nor is there any plans to do so in the future. :(  

Keep an eye on craigslist or ebay is the only way now. Remember, the 100W model is different from the 40W version.

cgtrox B)

• Upvote 1

Your effort to find one is much appreciated! Thanx man!

And I didn't know there were two versions, that's good info to have. I can see myself happily buy and install the wrong version.   :)  How do I recognise the 100w version?
Is it printed on there somewhere, or a bigger tube or something?

[pushing-my-luck-mode on] But if there aren't any plans for the future, maybe Strymon can be persuaded to release a schematic so we can build one ourselves? [pushing-my-luck-mode off]

The HD100 model has a notch in the circuit board allowing it to be installed over the mother board. Like so.. http://medias.audiofanzine.com/images/normal/line-6-spider-valve-hd100-343436.jpg

If you look at the 40W version there is no notch in the board. It is a complete rectangle. Like this... http://simulason.free.fr/switches.jpg

The best way to tell if a used SV amp has an SV Pre installed is to look for two after market switches. Most guys were putting the "mini" toggles like Mesa uses. Some guys were putting more heavy duty switches, but they do have to be SPST switches. (Single Pole/Single Throw) like these from Radio Shack part #275-0634 http://www.radioshack.com/product/popup.jsp?productId=2062506

cgtrox B)

• Upvote 1

Yessir! There are four modes, STOCK, YELLOW, ORANGE and RED, Red being the hottest. I use the ORANGE setting myself. There was even one guy making a footswitch for the floor so you can change the modes on the fly. Remember, the original switches are internal and you pretty much have to take the thing apart to switch them. Which is why we all installed external switches. 

cgtrox B)

• Upvote 2

Fascinated by this thread/topic, I decided to try a work-around by plugging my guitar into an original powered ART MP tube preamp via quarter inch, then to the SVMkII guitar input. It works, but I felt it lost some dynamics and added a small amount of noise (tried adjusting input/output knobs). My feeling is that it must be an electronically different gain structure than when using something like the SV-Pre.

• Upvote 1

• 2 months later...

Funny, for years I heard about all the carping and insults heaped on the Spider Valve amps when my opion was "this used amp of mine sounds great!" I've had my SV for 2 years or so.  Then I was looking at the back of the amp with the manual open and I was like "what they hell are these toggle switches?"

Did some online digging and discovered that the dude that had this before me installed the Strymon mod!   Both switches had always been up which was fine for me as I play metal but I was kinda curious why even the ultra clean presets sounded a tad crunchy.

I recently did a 100% tube change (including the Mesa tube in the mod) and man ... this amp is going nowhere !!!!

• Upvote 1

Awesome find! I love the way it makes the amp sound! I did a total re-tube as well a few years ago and I feel the same way. It's actually my main gigging amp right now, I really feel the MKI series has that little something that the MKII does not. Where did you buy it from?

cgtrox B)

• 4 weeks later...

Yeah, I've been varying between setting 2 and 3 on the pre-amp. And then for recording, just been focusing on mic'ing with a SM57 which I like better than my Sennheiser e608. And then there's always blending in the xlr out signal to which I add a cab sim on that channel with a reveb impulse loaded for a bit of space. This celestion speaker is so well worn in .... I must keep this amp!

I just read that the original Strymon pre-amp came with electro-harmonix 12AX7s and my is a MESA-BOOGIE .. so I may mess around with that from time to time and invest in different brands of 12AX7s for the preamp ...

Also, there are pedal kits you can build that use a 12Ax7 also .... so that would add even more more tube warmth .. the way that peavey 5150s have something like 5 12ax7s !

So much fun to play with and after 3 years I still haven't been through all the presets .. especially the cleans which I am trying to get into my music instead of having everything high gain all the time.

This amp produces WAAAAY more gain than is useful on any recording .. I find that I have to find presets I like to jam with but then halve the gain come recording time.

Cgtrox … I was wondering if you could poll Rick to release the schematic for the pre-amp? I am thinking that there are many here (myself included) that would be interested in building one …. and if it is a dead issue for Rick, then he many be willing to release it?

Even owning the DT25 (which I really like btw) I still have my SV212 MKII and have absolutely no inclination to part with it. I think it is a seriously decent amp.

So much fun to play with and after 3 years I still haven't been through all the presets .. especially the cleans which I am trying to get into my music instead of having everything high gain all the time. This amp produces WAAAAY more gain than is useful on any recording. I find that I have to find presets I like to jam with but then halve the gain come recording time.

I know man! I use the Insane Blue (modern high gain) with only half or less of the gain as my main sound. I think it's modeled after a hot rodded Marshall. I use the Clean Blue (Hiwatt 100) for great rock clean tones!

cgtrox B)

Cgtrox … I was wondering if you could poll Rick to release the schematic for the pre-amp? I am thinking that there are many here (myself included) that would be interested in building one …. and if it is a dead issue for Rick, then he many be willing to release it?

Even owning the DT25 (which I really like btw) I still have my SV212 MKII and have absolutely no inclination to part with it. I think it is a seriously decent amp.

Nah, he doesn't have that kind of power over there, I think he's just the marketing guy. The owners are two guys who made Strymon and I don't think they are gonna let that out as it might affect their boutique pedals that they have out now. Awesome stuff they are putting out up there! We are prolly gonna have to Area 51 it and do some reverse engineering, LOL! :(  

cgtrox B)

• 2 weeks later...

HA HA .. I'll take close up pics of mine next time I crack open the amp. Not releasing the schematics is stupid of Strymon as this thingy does not interefere with their pedals .. and how many people have MK1s?

Although it is funny I just saw two in the Guitar Center I was at. I felt around the back of them for the tell tale double toggle switches .. nothing doing.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cgtrox ... did you ever get a reply from Terry on whether or not his SV pre might become available either custom made by his company or schematic/parts list?

Second, is would seem that a SV MKI and SV MKII would require a few differences.

i ain't The Expert but from the information i collected i guess the most important thing (as the hardest without any diagram/schematics) would be reproducing the cable and the plug pin-out, as the original SVPre is driven by the L6 MK device. i even think this is the secret so it would be useless replicate something not working like that. let's hope to get some news soon...

• 6 months later...

Terry,

Are you prohibited by contract or IP bound not to release any technical information about the SV-pre?

I can understand if you are then we won't see anything, schematics, construction, BOM, nothing from you.

But if you're not prohibited then could we start with a BOM and a schematic for the original SV-pre?

THanks

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just got a SVMKI 212. I would love some more info on if this mod would be available again! 

Thanks! 

directly from Strymon's website:

"SVpre has been discontinued.

SVpre has been discontinued, and we’re completely out of stock. Unfortunately, we’re unable to pursue the development of a Spider Valve MkII-specific internal tube mod.

We have many projects cooking in the Strymon labs, and hope to eventually develop something that would be suitable as a replacement for SVpre. We can’t provide details or estimated release dates for products in development. Please keep an eye on our blog and sign up for our email newsletter, we’ll post new product information there first."

• 4 weeks later...

Happy and humbled that so many of you are still interested in SVpre after all these years. I originally designed it as my first product when I started strymon. It's been out of production since 2010 I believe.

Enough of you have expressed interest that I can consider manufacturing a new batch under my new brand Meris.

Please contact me here if you'd like to get one: http://meris.us/contact

I'll respond personally to everyone who does.

Could someone please start a new thread called "New SVpre by Meris"  :)

-terry

• Upvote 2

Happy and humbled that so many of you are still interested in SVpre after all these years. I originally designed it as my first product when I started strymon. It's been out of production since 2010 I believe.

Enough of you have expressed interest that I can consider manufacturing a new batch under my new brand Meris.

Please contact me here if you'd like to get one: http://meris.us/contact

I'll respond personally to everyone who does.

Could someone please start a new thread called "New SVpre by Meris"   :)

-terry

thanx, great!

• 2 years later...

Ive got a spidervalve hd100 tube head with sv preamp strymon mod id sell for right price ive also got a ibanez rg7621 mint cond and a set of vintage woodson 4x12 column cabs all for sale plus a rack mount pod pro from line 6 too with footswitch contact dan at 843 339 0463 marion sc