Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

How do I use a volume pedal to control/cut M20D monitor output?

I'm a guitar player.

Making the leap to eliminating stage amp back line, and playing just through the M20, then sending my signal to my monitor do I can hear myself.

I finally realized it was overkill, to blast an amp from behind me, just to blast the signal back in from of me in my monitor. I'm killing my ears.

So, here is what I want.

I have a powered stage monitor with 2 inputs.

I want a monitor mix A from m20 of the band only, no me/ guitar, entering my monitor as input 1.

Then, the monitor B from m20, I want to run it to a volume pedal, before entering my monitor as input 2.

This way, I can set the volumes, but if the stage volumes get too loud during a gig, I can throttle up my volume pedal an make my guitar louder in my monitor, without increasing my FOH guitar volume.

So please help. Can the monitor outs on M20be sent to a volume pedal, before arriving at my stage monitor?

Thanks

I don't think anyone manufactures a balanced signal volume pedal.

But I can't help thinking that you are over complicating your chain.

Use just a single monitor channel from the M20d for you. Get your mix as you want it for the start of your show. Punch (in the face) anyone on stage who turns up!

Once all band members "get" how much better *everyone* plays when stage volumes are lower and thus everyone can hear themselves and everyone else, the easier life will be. Sadly though it doesn't always happen. It took a bass player leaving our band for stage volumes to drop and it's amazing how much tighter we are now.

Backline is for the band.

PA is for the audience.

Anyhow, that's probably not a helpful solution... But, to be honest, I don't think what you've described will be either doable or practical.

So as a suggestion (and this assumes the M20d is yours...

Consider setting up a number of "scenes", with each scene having your personal monitor level incrementally boosted by lets say 1db.

Now, get a simple momentary footswitch and plug into M20d's footswitch input A

Assign footswitch to scene control

If you find yourself drowned out by the rest of the band onstage, use the footswitch to boost your monitor level by changing the scene. Granted, eventually, you will reach the max level and the next footswitch press will cycle it back round to the beginning, but if you've got that big a problem with onstage volume, you need to find a new band ;-) (or sack the selfish member who drives the volume up!)

Your most practical option is an ipad with the stagescape remote, leaving it open on the monitor screen and with your monior selected, then just boost your guitar > monitor level as and when required. BUT I'd stick to using just one monitor channel.

I use a Yamaha DBR12 active monitor. This monitor has to inputs which separate volume-controls.

So I feed the monitor-signal from the PA into input one of the DBR12 (usual the complete sound of the band + my voice raised a little bit).

Input two has this chain: POD 1/4" out > Patch-Cable > 15 bucks volume-pedal > Patch-Cable > DBR12

This gives me control over my on-stage guitar sound without a need for communication with the sound-guy and/or band-members.

Of course I try to keep my volume not so high it impairs any member of my band in their play. 

Thanks

I'm not familiar with your POD source. ??

Is this just another output of your guitar rig? One goes to pa mixer. One goes to the described volume pedal rig?

I just need to figure out how best to get my guitar signal, to my monitor as a separate input.

I don't know whether to dedicate a monitor feed from the M20. Prefer NOT to do this, as monitor outs are limited to 4.

I am considering using the headphone jack coming out of my Apogee Duet audio interface.

Is it OK to send a headphone jack signal (guessing a line level signal) into an active/powered monitor???

• 1 month later...

Yes, that works: output headphones into (stereo) volume pedal into active monitor is what I do since ten years. I got my monitormix (from m20 or whatever) in the main input of the monitor (I use stagescource 2m) and add my signal from my rig (now Helix, before Boss GT-10) into the cinch input. Works perfect and you have full control over your volume on stage.