Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Trem on the 89F

Hi

I'm thinking of changing from my trusty 700 trem to a JTV 89F

The only reason (ok there are two) The first reason is that the trem arm has become loose in it's socket. I have tried many times to alter the grub screw and have even super glued it in with some success. The problem now is that the trem always, no matter how tight or loose the arm is adjusted to, always has some play in it ie. unwanted movement which results in any sustain dropping out very quickly.

Ok so the question is; is the JTV 89F tremolo system anywhere similar to that of the 700? Does it push in and pull out in the same way or does it screw in like a Strat? Is it liable to the same problem?

I now cant remember the 2nd reason haha

I'll post my problem also in the Variax forum, but if anyone knows a decent solution to my 700 problem please reply

Many Thanks

Mark

Ok so the question is; is the JTV 89F tremolo system anywhere similar to that of the 700? Does it push in and pull out in the same way or does it screw in like a Strat? Is it liable to the same problem?

The trem on the 89F is the Graphtech Floyd Rose, routed to dive or pull up (think Ibanez style). The arm attaches via a nut type setup you tension down to your preferred tightness/looseness. 

Hi Palico thanks for the reply

So, the trem pushes in (not screws in) like the 700 but unlike the 700 there is no grub screw to set. I have tried to look at photo's and from what you have described and what I can see, there is a nut that you adjust once the trem is in. Is that right?

If there was a guitar shop round here that stocked one I'd go and check one out but sadly there isn't

Thanks Mark

Hi Palico thanks for the reply

So, the trem pushes in (not screws in) like the 700 but unlike the 700 there is no grub screw to set. I have tried to look at photo's and from what you have described and what I can see, there is a nut that you adjust once the trem is in. Is that right?

If there was a guitar shop round here that stocked one I'd go and check one out but sadly there isn't

Thanks Mark

Yep, pretty sure you are describing it accuratley... 

Basically it's very very similar to the below but uses the peizo ghost inserts instead of the normal ones. One of the pics shows the arm.

http://www.graphtech.com/products/brands/tusq/product-detail/ps-0080-b0-lb63-fr-style-locking-bridge-with-string-savers---black?id=f229eea9-6776-4868-a9bc-e805e1bc7d4a

If you haven't worked with floating floyds before though there are some drawbacks versus normal tremolo bridges. Since the nut locks retuning is not usually possible, although you can do digitally with the varaix instead of physical. 2. Hand pressure on for muting is important to get right, too much and you throw the tuning temporary out. 3. Without a tremolo stabilizer, doesn't come stock, bends are not as accurate, and double stop bends nearly impossible.  Check out this on stabilizers (http://joe.emenaker.com/TremStabilizers/CantHelp.html). Of course the big positive is work the bar as hard a you want and it stays in tune, dive to strings a slack and just let go and your nearly perfectly back in tune. The graphtech is a awesome version of it as well. I've used several Floyd guitars before and this floyd version once I added a stabilizer is easily the best I've used. 

My friends 89F trem arm is extremely stable honestly!

I'd be more worried about the Floyd Bridge, which was a learning curve for him coming from a Les Paul, took a bit to get it stable in the tuning but once that was done it's been all good!

Hi Guys thanks for your replies

I wont buy a JTV 89F until I can play one in a shop which probably means a long road trip so for now I'm going to concentrate on trying to get my 700 trem system back up to working. Maybe someone on here can help me with that but I realise that this is the wrong place to be talking about an old 700. So I will re-post in the Variax forum and if you think you can please reply there. That is unless I just ask one question which you may offer advice on if you own or have owned both old and JTV. Thanks

Yesterday I unscrewed the trem holder which is just like a nut with a slot for a large flat head screwdriver, it's about an inch in length with a plastic sleeve inside. The sleeve on mine has been worn fully so the grub screw is metal on metal with the trem arm which I think is causing the problem. I'll be working to fix this and if any of you kind guys can help with that I'll really appreciate it. The new system of an adjustable nut on the arm itself seems much better than a grub screw. So does anyone know if the 89f trem (or any of the other JTV's) and nut that sinks into the guitar would fit into my 700? Wouldn't that be brilliant and simple?

Feel free to reply here or over in the Variax topics

Thanks again

Mark

I think you will be very happy with the JTV89F.  Along with the improved modeling, you also get the magnetic pickups and can blend these with the Variax Modeling, or use it in conjunction with the HD500 or Helix to do seemless switching between say an acoustic variax model and using the mags to produce distorted guitar.  I also had a VAX 700 with tuning head string lock and I feel the Floyd Rose on the 89F is much more stable tuning wise.  Also I have ordered all of my Variaxes (accept the vax700) online and have bee very happy with the setups these guitars have right out of the box (Especially those ordered from Sweetwater

online and have bee very happy with the setups these guitars have right out of the box (Especially those ordered from Sweetwater

Ordered mine for Sweetwater which is great to work with. However; I always take new guitars to tech to setup. My 89f has 2 high frets on it out of the box. The setup from the factor was decent but local tech fixed the frets and reset it up much better. Plus long way from oversees where these are build or even from a setup a sweetwater to our location and sweetwater isn't fixing out of the box minor issues such as fret ends or perfect leveling.