Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Rack Tap Tempo from Midi Pedalboard

shawngs

Hi Line 6 geniuses, I am in need of your expertise.

Recently I purchased a Helix Rack to replace the Pod HD Pro. I'm having some trouble getting the tap tempo working from my pedalboard correctly. The pedalboard is a Fractal Audio MFC-101. Per the Helix user manual I have the tap tempo switch set to midi cc# 64 and on/off values of 127. I've tried on/off values of 64/64 and 64/127 as well but it just doesn't seem to be receiving the messages. All other midi controls are working (changing presets, enabling disabling blocks, volume control, tuner, etc.). Is there something in particular that I should be doing to set the tap tempo from a footswitch?

post-36653-0-42323800-1461463122_thumb.png

• 2 weeks later...

For sure, though I can see how someone would want to try using the controller they already own to save $$$ if it might provide the functions needed.  And even with Helix Control you still can't send a CC with tempo value as described in the manual. That's a shortcoming that I believe will be addressed soon.

For sure, though I can see how someone would want to try using the controller they already own to save $$$ if it might provide the functions needed.  And even with Helix Control you still can't send a CC with tempo value as described in the manual. That's a shortcoming that I believe will be addressed soon.

Fortunately, it's not a bug, it's simply a lack of a feature.

Thanks for the responses! I know the Helix seems to be aimed at the "professional" market and, that being said, a large number of pros use either custom made midi pedals or "high end" ones such as the Fractal MFC-101. Implementing fully functioning midi capabilities for the Helix Rack seems like it should be a major focus. The rack sounds are incredible and I believe the Helix could be a potential competitor to the Axe-Fx once it is able to be fully controlled using professional Midi equipment. I've noticed you also cannot enable/disable effects blocks via midi cc message, you can only assign them to one of the 10 virtual "Line 6 pedals" like on the Helix Control. The MFC-101 has 17 foot switches + 4 external switches + 4 control switches + up to 4 effects pedals… A lot of potential Helix rack purchasers would not want to give that up for the 10 switch (+ 2 control switches) Helix Control.

Same here could not get the Tempo to work_did not now this was a known bug or non-feature??Why?

Being able to use a different controller was why I bought The Helix Rack.  Being able to control an entire rig with one controller is a selling point for Line6 I would think........

The Rack not recieving CC values other than on/off is a pity also..

Get on this Line6 Please.

Kj

Same here could not get the Tempo to work_did not now this was a known bug or non-feature??Why?

Being able to use a different controller was why I bought The Helix Rack.  Being able to control an entire rig with one controller is a selling point for Line6 I would think........

The Rack not recieving CC values other than on/off is a pity also..

Get on this Line6 Please.

Kj

What all are you going to integrate alongside Helix in your rig? Control might be your best option. The way it works with Helix Rack is simply extraordinary.

Yeah I had the Floor unit so I understand the switching program pretty well.

I would like to change my 3 channel Amp which received only PC in 4CM and an Helix effect at the same time. But the Helix toggle gets out of sync with 3 or more changes in a song. Scenes or being able to send ON/OFF CC values would be AWSOME with my set up

Thanks for your time

Kj

What all are you going to integrate alongside Helix in your rig? Control might be your best option. The way it works with Helix Rack is simply extraordinary.

I use 4 Eventide H9 pedals for distinct sounds that can not be created with the Helix. They are mounted in a drawer in my rack and controlled, along with the Helix, with the Fractal MFC-101 pedalboard. The pedal board has 4 additional foot switches connected to it giving me a total of 25 foot switches. Also connected are 3 expression pedals, with the option of adding a fourth if needed….but that would just be crazy ;p

I use 4 Eventide H9 pedals for distinct sounds that can not be created with the Helix. They are mounted in a drawer in my rack and controlled, along with the Helix, with the Fractal MFC-101 pedalboard. The pedal board has 4 additional foot switches connected to it giving me a total of 25 foot switches. Also connected are 3 expression pedals, with the option of adding a fourth if needed….but that would just be crazy ;p

Good LORD... all in mono? I would think you could, if you needed, control it all with Control, but I see your point.

I need to see a video of your rig and how it works, man... because I'm the kind of guy who thinks that a fourth EXP is NOT overkill... :rolleyes:

i love my eventide h9 max along with my helix...it does have awesome sounds and it only increases the sounds of the combined systems..it is a plus...i just wish i could control the tap tempo from the my helix..mine is the floar board model. i also use an electro harmonix epitome. use 2 send and returns and i finally feel that my total system is complete...(well, till the Helix can control all timing)...lol

• 2 years later...

I have found myself requiring the ability to set the Tempo on Helix using MIDI - not as a simulated tap, tap tap, or as MIDI Clock (same thing) but rather explicitly updating as in "set tempo to 142 BPM" as a single message. It is a bit disappointing that the only way to achieve instant tempo changes is to dedicate snapshots to it as I use a single patch for everything and just want to set the tempo correctly to match the song (or section of song) so that the delays and modulation follow correctly without me having to tap in each time.

Anybody else interested in this or should I be finding myself a device or app that can receive a tempo instruction and convert it to MIDI Clock?