#1 kevtcg

kevtcg

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:13 PM

Hi All

I have an older style variax (300 I think) that I love! I would like to check and update it's firmware but I don't have a Workbench Interface etc. I am gigging this weekend with a guy who has an X3Live. 

Seeing as I doubt anyone can ship me a Digital cable before sat I was wondering if I can use a Standard Ethernet cable to get the update. I know this is not the "Correct" thing to do but it is something I can do in the time available. 

Will It work? Standard Ethernet or Crossover cable.

And if anyone knows where to buy a Workbench interface bounce me a link :-)

#2 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 15529 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:23 PM

no problem at all using an ethernet cable for the updates... 

i think amazon still has the workbench interface. they sell it as the software, but the software comes with the interface... the software itself can be freely downloaded here.

#3 BigChas52

BigChas52

Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 2765 posts
  • LocationWashington, DC

Posted 14 August 2013 - 05:24 PM

A standard cat-5 Ethernet cable will work.  Be advised that this is not supported or recommended.  There have been instances where using a plain cable can do damage to the guitar.

#4 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1168 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:38 AM

A regular cable (not crossover) works fine if you are very careful plugging it into the guitar's digital connection.  I have used one with workbench and my X3Live.  It's not recommended because it's too easy to damage the plug on the guitar if the cable isn't a decent one and if you yank on it without the support of the extra case around the connector that is on the Variax VDI cable.

#5 rchibnik

rchibnik

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:03 AM

And Maximum length is 50 feet. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users