423 replies to this topic

#361 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:00 AM

Buzzing and other non artifacts can cause it too.

#362 psarkissian

psarkissian

Line 6 Staff

• Service Engineer Moderator
  • 102 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 11:32 AM

Buzzing and other artifacts do similar, but not the same.

Buzzing is typically from the action set low at the bridge, or relief too straight and flat.

Other artifacts can occur from intonation, where it may need to be dialed in a little closer by a guitar tech with a precision tuner.

The $30 Samsons are good for quick tuning of a guitar, a Peterson (for example) is precise enough for doing intonations (which is what I use for tuning and intonations).

-P.B. Sarkissian

#363 jefflynyrd

jefflynyrd

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 76 posts

Posted 28 August 2013 - 12:23 PM

I don't think that's my case. My pickups are about 1/4" from the strings...But just to be on the safe side I'll drop em down.

#364 pwik

pwik

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 09:58 AM

Argh....can't download Monkey or Workbench HD. Keep getting "Not Found" "The requested URL/data was not found on this server"  :(

#365 fremen

fremen

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 39 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 08:03 PM

Hi fremen , is possible you share your eqs for acustic patchs? frequencies and etc? thanks

Yes here's some screen caps from the Tonematch, Multiband Compressor, Parametric EQ and Graphic EQ blocks :

Tonematch.jpg

Multiband.jpg

Parametric.jpg

Graphic.jpg

But as I said the complex EQ of the tonematch block brings the final touch, and for that you'll need something like Ozone on your computer

#366 Junis

Junis

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 80 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:13 AM

nice thanks

Yes here's some screen caps from the Tonematch, Multiband Compressor, Parametric EQ and Graphic EQ blocks :

Tonematch.jpg

Multiband.jpg

Parametric.jpg

Graphic.jpg

But as I said the complex EQ of the tonematch block brings the final touch, and for that you'll need something like Ozone on your computer

#367 psarkissian

psarkissian

Line 6 Staff

• 102 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 08:57 AM

pwik,

What's your computer platform? What's your computer's Operating System that you are using?

-P.B. Sarkissian

#368 The_Doc_Rock

The_Doc_Rock

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 03:00 PM

Why do people insist on hitting the "Quote" button to put a two-word reply, such as "Nice, thanks", but which makes the entire previous post, full of slow-loading graphics, load all over again?  Even more of a pain for those reading this on eg an iPad.

Just saying.... ;)  Better just to use the Quick Reply at the bottom of the page.

And for those who have been following this thread, I still haven't got any answers as to WHY some people's guitars just don't like this v2.0 firmware update, and give awful sounds.  Like mine, and a few others who have posted here....

Wonder when v2.1 will be out?

#369 silverhead

silverhead

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 11097 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:04 PM

And for those who have been following this thread, I still haven't got any answers as to WHY some people's guitars just don't like this v2.0 firmware update, and give awful sounds.  ..

I'm using the Quote button to indicate that I am answering this specific comment in your specific post......

Have you opened a support ticket with Line 6? What is the status of that?

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
.... John Lennon

#370 The_Doc_Rock

The_Doc_Rock

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:21 PM

I'm using the Quote button to indicate that I am answering this specific comment in your specific post......

Have you opened a support ticket with Line 6? What is the status of that?

LOL :)  I don't have a problem with the proper use of the Quote button, as you can see.  It's just that to use it for a quick two-word reply to a post containing huge graphics, seems somewhat superfluous...

I opened a ticket, but have not yet heard back. I was delayed until a couple of days ago before opening the ticket (was in hospital - OK now though). And in the ticket, I pointed to this thread, along with my posting nick, in addition to a full description of the problems and what I have done to try and solve them, including that experiment with my mate's Korean JTV69 that sounded great with v2.0.

Once I hear back from Line6, I'll post any progress on here.  Thanks for your interest and help, SH :)  Appreciated.

#371 johnnyayyy

johnnyayyy

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1364 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 04:30 PM

And for those who have been following this thread, I still haven't got any answers as to WHY some people's guitars just don't like this v2.0 firmware update, and give awful sounds.  Like mine, and a few others who have posted here....

https://www.google.c...:en-US:official

Doubt anyone here can answer that question. Some guesses?

1. Possible cause: You used the USB dongle to do the firmware update. The dongle sucks (IMO based on my own experience and reports in this forum).    Solution: try connecting to your computer using a Pod HD 500 or Pro, then rolling back to an earlier version and re-upping the 2.0 firmware.

2. Possible cause: Your guitar is defective, whether through a manufacturing flaw or perhaps a .

Solution: repair or replace.

3. Possible cause: The firmware is flawed. The majority seem to be able to achieve good results so this is a longshot.

Solution: roll back to 1.9 or earlier and wait patiently for the next version.

I believe you have already installed 2.0 using a Pod HD and compared to your friend's JTV and found his guitar sounds good and yours doesn't, correct? If this is the case and you have already tried doing incremental flashes with unplugging,resetting monkey, and double flashing I believe you may have a corrupted or defective main board due to a problem occurring at a critical moment during an update and if it were my guitar at that point I would be shipping it back to L6 or taking it to a local authorized repair person..

Info here:http://line6.com/sup...tv-20-try-this/

Places things might have gone wrong for you -

Quote: "7) Update will be in process for several minutes. DO NOT interrupt this process, or processor board (Main Board) may be rendered un-useable. It would have to be return to Line 6 Repair for possible re-program and recovery."

Quote: "12) A prompt will come up “… keep the existing patches …” click “No”. If during update a patch gets corrupted, and it is saved, then it can create problems later"

Quote: "13) Message and “Continue?” question, click “Yes”. Update will be in process for several minutes. DO NOT, interrupt this process, or processor board (Main Board) may be rendered un-useable. It would have to be return to Line 6 Repair for possible re-program and recovery."

Important things to do during incremental flashes and reflashes:

1.JTV volume UP

2. JTV modeling switch set to mags

3.important steps from the .pdf at http://line6.com/sup...tv-20-try-this/

"10) Go to Monkey and click on “Change Device”, and select Tyler Variax and click on “Ok”, this re-initializes the Monkey Interface."

"11) Regardless of Flash version displayed, select Flash memory and click on “Reinstall Latest” and “I Accept” on the prompt."

"15) Disconnect, and then reconnect the VDI cable to re-initialize the JTV."

Sooooooooo many places things could have gone wrong with your guitar, or it may have been defective and unable to properly run 2.0  when you bought it.

If you have done everything you can to fix it and you can't make it work you will probably have to send it back to L6 when you finally get tired of being stuck in 1.9.

#372 The_Doc_Rock

The_Doc_Rock

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:14 PM

@johnnyayyy: Many thanks for your detailed reply - appreciated.

Just for the record, I've done pretty well all of the above, several times (the JTV has now been flashed 5 times with v2.0).  ALL the flashes have progressed through to completion with no problems, and I received the "All OK" thingy at the end.  They were all done via the USB interface. I had the volume up, modeling turned off (i.e. was on the mag pups), jack in the output socket, etc etc.  Said yes to all the right prompts and no to the others like the one about keeping presets.  Basically, I have done everything that you outlined above.  \

When I did EXACTLY the same to my mate's Korean JTV69, the sounds that resulted were great.  Mine couldn't have been more different - honky, mid-range sounds that sounded like an old telephone line.  Like the 1KHz EQ was notched right UP, with everything else almost off.  And that was after EVERY time.  When I did the comparison with my mate's JTV, I used the "Update from file" method in Monkey, and used the exact same file that I had downloaded (actually the third download just to make sure it wasn't corrupted).  The fact that it worked perfectly on his guitar but sounded awful on mine is where the mystery lies.

I am as certain as I can be that

(1) the upgrade file was OK,

(2) the upgrade itself proceeded without error and completed, and

(3) having done it 5 times now, the results are specific to my individual guitar.  BUT - a few others have posted earlier on this thread that they got exactly the same thing - so perhaps it is something that is specific to SOME guitars?

I have outline everything to Line 6 in my ticket.  I am back on v1.9 and happy with it, as I was before I tried all this updating malarkey ;)

I'll be patient and await v2.1 and try again.  Returning the guitar is NOT an easy option, as I'm in Australia (imported the guitar from the US before they became available here), and the local importer is in Sydney while I am up in Queensland, with Australia being a BIG place! :)

Thanks for your help, and the list of suggestions - appreciated.

#373 johnnyayyy

johnnyayyy

Power User

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1364 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:37 PM

@johnnyayyy: Many thanks for your detailed reply - appreciated.

Just for the record, I've done pretty well all of the above, several times (the JTV has now been flashed 5 times with v2.0).  ALL the flashes have progressed through to completion with no problems, and I received the "All OK" thingy at the end.  They were all done via the USB interface. I had the volume up, modeling turned off (i.e. was on the mag pups), jack in the output socket, etc etc.  Said yes to all the right prompts and no to the others like the one about keeping presets.  Basically, I have done everything that you outlined above.  \

When I did EXACTLY the same to my mate's Korean JTV69, the sounds that resulted were great.  Mine couldn't have been more different - honky, mid-range sounds that sounded like an old telephone line.  Like the 1KHz EQ was notched right UP, with everything else almost off.  And that was after EVERY time.  When I did the comparison with my mate's JTV, I used the "Update from file" method in Monkey, and used the exact same file that I had downloaded (actually the third download just to make sure it wasn't corrupted).  The fact that it worked perfectly on his guitar but sounded awful on mine is where the mystery lies.

I am as certain as I can be that

(1) the upgrade file was OK,

(2) the upgrade itself proceeded without error and completed, and

(3) having done it 5 times now, the results are specific to my individual guitar.  BUT - a few others have posted earlier on this thread that they got exactly the same thing - so perhaps it is something that is specific to SOME guitars?

I have outline everything to Line 6 in my ticket.  I am back on v1.9 and happy with it, as I was before I tried all this updating malarkey ;)

I'll be patient and await v2.1 and try again.  Returning the guitar is NOT an easy option, as I'm in Australia (imported the guitar from the US before they became available here), and the local importer is in Sydney while I am up in Queensland, with Australia being a BIG place! :)

Thanks for your help, and the list of suggestions - appreciated.

Simply put, your guitar is broken. Whether it got that way through a bad install at some point, or a power fluctuation during reflash, or it was that way from the factory, if you have done all the reflashing you can and that dows not solve the problem then it is broken (yes, if it works proper,ly with 1.9 and does not work properly with 2.0 that constitutes "broken" IMO).

The way I am reading the warnings in the .PDF is "slip up here once and no amount of reflashing is going to help, only Line 6 can repair your guitar after this."

Did you do the updates step by step every single time since you have had the guitar? I had never seen that .PDF until with all the crazy instructions until everyone started having problems with the new 2.0 update, every time I have updated my Variaxes and my JTV in the past I have done it without unplugging the guitar, without saying no to keeping presets, without resetting Monkey between update attempts, without double flashing, without clicking my model knob to mags, without checking my volume knob etc etc etc and according to the .PDF I could have caused damage to my guitars during any one of those many pre- 2.0 updates and rollbacks.

Did you ever do an update pre-2.0 without following the step by step directions? According to the PDF that may be what is causing your problems now.

A possible case of "Corrupted firmware remnants causing problems with subsequent reflashes" I deduce... either that or a defective guitar. What do I win if I guessed right?

Tho it's true that it is possible there was a "bad run" of JTV's I believe the few who had this problem had guitars built at different times. Also, as I recall, everyone but you was able to fix the problem by reflashing... are there still others remaining who had bad sound in 2.0 and get great sound again by rolling back to 1.9?  Not talking about those who simply prefer the tones in 1.9, but those who are still unable to get results similar to the videos that have been posted with the "correct" sounding updated guitars.

I will be interested to see the results of your support ticket, I know you already said you can not call for faster service - I think you might be left with the options shipping the guitar to your nearset repair center (however far away that may be) or living with 1.9 for as long as you have the guitar.

#374 The_Doc_Rock

The_Doc_Rock

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 August 2013 - 05:44 PM

Did you ever do an update pre-2.0 without following the step by step directions? According to the PDF that may be what is causing your problems now.

A possible case of "Corrupted firmware remnants causing problems with subsequent reflashes" I deduce... either that or a defective guitar. What do I win if I guessed right?

I have updated sequentially with every firmware update since I got the guitar, and yes, surprising though it may seem, I did follow the instructions every time - to the letter.

If I missed something previously, it was purely by error, not because I ignored the instructions - but of course an error is always possible.

Your guess may well be correct - you'd win a 6-week holiday on a Great Barrier Reef island resort (hastily add that I'm kidding!!!) ;)

I would be very interested, if any of the others are still reading this thread, to hear if anyone still has the bad sounds after the update or if a re-flash has fixed the problem.  Or if they've simply gone back to v1.9 and are staying there, like I am now.

Once again, thanks for your thoughts and ideas :)

#375 drdamski

drdamski

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 31 August 2013 - 08:57 AM

I am getting incredibly frustrated with this USB hub.

It doesn't work reliably.

Sometimes it will connect and I can update (Monkey) or edit (Workbench) - other times, for no reason I can find, it will not.

Got both green lights on - but it won't work. So no idea if this new work bench is any good.

The only tip it ever gives you is "try disconnecting the USB cable and try again"...

I've got the 1/4 inch jack connected, I've tried swapping the VDI cable for another cable....

Nothing works. In my opinion it really shouldn't be this difficult.

:(  :angry:  :unsure:

Any help gratefully received.

Thank you.

#376 runningcloud

runningcloud

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 01 September 2013 - 01:48 PM

I've read all 19 pages of this topic, so I'll apologize up front if I missed a discussion of my particular problem.

I installed 2.0, and the installation seemed to have been accomplished. Monkey reported that 2.0 was in the system. Workbench HD seemed to tell me the same. However, I could not get my JTV69 (non US) to send a signal to my amp. (When I turned off the Variax function, the "straight" sound of the guitar came out of the amp as usual.) I restored 1.9 to my Variax and, presto, the various models sounded through the amp. Hopefully, there is some simple step I missed after installing 2.0 that prevented these models from getting amplified.

Thanks in advance for any help.

#377 TheRealZap

TheRealZap

Uber Guru

• Line 6 Expert
  • 14811 posts
  • LocationClemmons, NC USA

Posted 01 September 2013 - 04:02 PM

unfortunately, sometimes it takes some experimenting to get it settled in properly.

i'm sure there is a real cause.. however, only Line6 themselves could possibly narrow that down.

for the rest of us it's usually easier just to flash a couple of times and it works itself out...

i've had good luck flashing back to 1.7 or 1.8 and then 2.0 i think the wider differences between those firmwares 

seems to bring the whole thing into focus for some reason.

just some ideas... because noone wants to send their guitar away or take it to a service center.

I've read all 19 pages of this topic, so I'll apologize up front if I missed a discussion of my particular problem.

I installed 2.0, and the installation seemed to have been accomplished. Monkey reported that 2.0 was in the system. Workbench HD seemed to tell me the same. However, I could not get my JTV69 (non US) to send a signal to my amp. (When I turned off the Variax function, the "straight" sound of the guitar came out of the amp as usual.) I restored 1.9 to my Variax and, presto, the various models sounded through the amp. Hopefully, there is some simple step I missed after installing 2.0 that prevented these models from getting amplified.

Thanks in advance for any help.

#378 runningcloud

runningcloud

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 03:19 AM

unfortunately, sometimes it takes some experimenting to get it settled in properly.

i'm sure there is a real cause.. however, only Line6 themselves could possibly narrow that down.

for the rest of us it's usually easier just to flash a couple of times and it works itself out...

i've had good luck flashing back to 1.7 or 1.8 and then 2.0 i think the wider differences between those firmwares 

seems to bring the whole thing into focus for some reason.

just some ideas... because noone wants to send their guitar away or take it to a service center.

Thanks for the help, First upgrade attempt today succeeded. Yesterday, I had the guitar plugged into the amp. Today, not plugged to amp. Maybe that was the difference. Also, I did not have Workbench 2 open. It may have been open yesterday. Maybe these two things were factors yesterday. Or maybe it was just Line 6's capricious twitchery.

#379 Charlie_Watt

Charlie_Watt

Gear Head

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 814 posts

Posted 02 September 2013 - 05:18 AM

I would think that the problem with failed downloads could be the USB interface itself.  I would recommend that the JTV not be plugged into your amp when using the interface to download flash FW.  That eliminates a ground loop with your PC which can make the USB interface less reliable.  I would also use a short USB cable and go into the back interface on your PC - one that goes to the mother board.

#380 psarkissian

psarkissian

Line 6 Staff

• 102 posts

Posted 03 September 2013 - 08:03 AM

There are two kinds of whistling sounds,....

-Whistling howl from a clash of harmonics. For that, have the intonation checked and dialed in in smidge tighter.

A guitar tech should have a precision tuner like a Peterson for that.

-Whistling that sounds like a high frequency fax transmission would point to an update error of some kind. Try updating or re-installing the Firmware.

P.B. Sarkissian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users