Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Switching between using HD500x for effects only with real amp and modelling

chrisdivinechaos

Hi There

Recently hooked up my new HD500x, good unit, still getting to grasps with everything. I'm running it with the 4CM with my EVH 5150 Mkiii mainly just for effects on the 2 gain channels but I want to use a clean patch from the POD with an amp model and bypass the EVH preamp, I've seen vid where its achieved but no real explanation as to how to do it

Thanks

Chris

• 1 month later...

Any luck with this? I'm trying to do the same thing. I've got a Mesa Boogie Triple Rectifier, Hughes and Ketner cab, and just picked up the HD500x and voodoo lab control switcher. Trying to make the switch from stomp boxes. Tired of tapdancing, and never getting a good clean from the Mesa pre. Trying to figure out how to route cables and configure presets so that I can use a modeled clean pre-amp along with whatever effects I like, and other presets where I use my recto distortion channels(with no mod amps) with just effects, preferably with some effects in front of the amp, and some through the fx loop. Any tips would be appreciated!!!

Just for fun I whipped out the old amp head and cabinet to try the 4cm, and I can now see why people love to use it. It's pretty damn fun. No problems, and from what I can tell I get no "tone suck" that I hear a lot about (my amp isnt great anyway).

you obviously need to use the effects loop block if you want to use the preamp from your physical amp, but when you turn it off, you're only getting signal from your power amp, so you can use the amp block and select a modeled preamp. if you place the effects Loop before the amp block, you can assign them both to a foot switch to toggle them on and off and you can go between your amps sound and the modeled amp sound. This would be a good way to go from clean to mean without changing presets.

After all that, although fun, it seems like it would be a PITA to set up and dial in before a gig or rehearsal compared to going direct like I usually do. It seems more...direct :D