Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Trying to set up Boss GT-8 as a midi foot controller for DT50

hetrickaj

Hi there,

hoping to get some answers because i am going crazy trying to figure this out, I would like to try to set up my Boss GT-8 as a Foot controller and effects processor for my Line 6 DT-50.  I seem to cannot find any information on how to set it up, and I am brand spanking new at midi to make it worse.  I would like to control the amp changes and the effects with a push of a button for example, channel one of gt 8 is lets say clean tones, and channel two on the gt 8 is clean with delay.  See where I am getting at?

Help please?

Hi there,

hoping to get some answers because i am going crazy trying to figure this out, I would like to try to set up my Boss GT-8 as a Foot controller and effects processor for my Line 6 DT-50.  I seem to cannot find any information on how to set it up, and I am brand spanking new at midi to make it worse.  I would like to control the amp changes and the effects with a push of a button for example, channel one of gt 8 is lets say clean tones, and channel two on the gt 8 is clean with delay.  See where I am getting at?

Help please?

You need to get the manual for the GT-8 and read Chapter 8 to see how to set up midi and send commands to the DT.  You also need the DT Midi manual to see what commands to send to the DT.  Then connect a midi cable from the midi out on the GT-8 to the midi in on the DT50.  Once you get your patches saved you should be ok. 

You should probably do a one time programming of your DT by midi to set the amp and cab model you want in each voicing.  Then set up your GT-8 patches to pick one of those preset voicings rather than changing amps or cabs each time.  For live work you really only have 2 channels so most likely one clean and one dirty.  That means clean in channel A and dirty in channel B because the physical knob settings do not save.  You can't switch from a Blackface to a Treadplate in channel A without getting your head ripped off because the volume, drive, etc will still be set for the Blackface!  But you can have channel A and B set differently and switch between them.   

Its not really that hard once you get started.  Play around with it, you can always do a reset on the DT to get back to normal if you don't like what you have.

GT-8 Manual

DT Midi Manual

You need to get the manual for the GT-8 and read Chapter 8 to see how to set up midi and send commands to the DT.  You also need the DT Midi manual to see what commands to send to the DT.  Then connect a midi cable from the midi out on the GT-8 to the midi in on the DT50.  Once you get your patches saved you should be ok. 

You should probably do a one time programming of your DT by midi to set the amp and cab model you want in each voicing.  Then set up your GT-8 patches to pick one of those preset voicings rather than changing amps or cabs each time.  For live work you really only have 2 channels so most likely one clean and one dirty.  That means clean in channel A and dirty in channel B because the physical knob settings do not save.  You can't switch from a Blackface to a Treadplate in channel A without getting your head ripped off because the volume, drive, etc will still be set for the Blackface!  But you can have channel A and B set differently and switch between them.   

Its not really that hard once you get started.  Play around with it, you can always do a reset on the DT to get back to normal if you don't like what you have.

GT-8 Manual

DT Midi Manual

Okay I guess that's where I also get confused, reading both manuals and reading the midi setup is almost like trying to read a different language, and make things worse i learn things way better hands on. For the patch changes and channel changes to occur do they have to have the same cc messages? am I trying to match up the numbers from both charts?

Okay I guess that's where I also get confused, reading both manuals and reading the midi setup is almost like trying to read a different language, and make things worse i learn things way better hands on. For the patch changes and channel changes to occur do they have to have the same cc messages? am I trying to match up the numbers from both charts?

OK after reading both manuals it doesn't look like you will be able to select a specific voicing with a patch change on the GT-8.  The GT sends Bank Change and Program Change messages but the DT wants Control Change (CC) messages.  However, you can configure the GT CTL pedal to send CC messages.  What does that mean?  Well you have to manually dial in a clean amp on channel A and a dirty amp on channel B and use the CTL pedal to just switch between them.  You can't automate it with your patch change.  Follow the instructions on page 81 in the GT manual.  Set the MIDI CTL OUT to 66 and I think it should work.  (CC66 toggles the DT between channel A and B, page 2.1 in the DT guide).

To be honest the midi between the two units is not that great.  Hope this works because I've reached the limit of my MIDI knowledge!