Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Why is my helix sounding muddy and harsh in my L2T?

whipcote

I need help guys. I just got an L2T to use with helix. I'm not happy. It sounds boomy and harsh. Thought it might be that I wasn't using the L6 link cable so went out and spent a hundred on it and it hasn't changed.

I'm running from the helix out the link port to the link port in the L2T. I also have it set to PA, in spite of it wanting to change itself to monitor, and its on the legs. This is really frustrating! It doesn't sound even close to what I get in pro tools or even through the headphones. Seems like the output of the helix is WAY hot for the L2T. It's breaking up and well... harsh and muddy. I've got to be doing something wrong but for the life of me I can't figure it out. I'm not giving up on this thing but I'm stuck, and I have band practices this weekend. Help?

Every output device, monitors/headphones/cabs/etc will all color the sound to a greater or lesser extent. Headphones can be some of the worst offenders, depending on what you've been using. Most pairs billed as "studio" or "studio monitor" headphones will give you a reasonably flat response, and should at least get you in the ballpark for using the same patches through an FRFR speaker...but you can always expect to have to tweak something at least a little bit. If you've using any kind consumer-level cans, all bets are off...frequency responses are all over the place. No matter what you've got though, there's never gonna be 1:1 continuity. A different speaker(s) is a different speaker.

But the L2t (or L2m) should neither sound boomy nor harsh. Instead they sound great a make the ideal companion for the Helix in my opinion. I run my Helix via L6link in stereo into two L2m and it sounds awesome.

Maybe lower the output on the Helix and increase on the L2t and check if it makes a change.

How does the L2t sound with other sources? (Not that you got a defective unit)

I also thought it puts itself into Monitor-mode automatically when laid horizontally no matter what you set the switch to? How does it sound in upright position, any different?

Here are some basics to check, and a quick test

- set the output level on the L2t to the notch (12 o'clock) position

- set the L2t mode to PA/Reference and place it on a pole/stand so the speaker is at about head-height

- set the Helix main output level low to start and increase as desired

Test:

- start with an empty Helix preset (New Preset)

- if you are using a hi-gain guitar with active pickups use the PAD on the Helix input

- make an Amp+Cab selection in the Helix preset, preferably a clean amp (e.g. one of the Fenders). Start with the Drive at a low setting and increase as desired. Adjust Drive level and amp Volume level until the desired combination of grit/crunch and volume level is obtained.

If you can't get a reasonable sound with just this basic setup, without the muddy harshness, please let us know.

I also have a L2T. and did try to use it with my fender deluxe amp. Here are my advice for using Helix with L2T:

-Make sure u have the right able.. AES 110 ohms.... or the official line 6 link cable

-Set sample rate to 96k. Line 6 informed me that setting to 96k wouldn't affect the cpu. I can hear noticeable diff changing from   44k to 96k

-trim cab base and high freq.

- set in PA mode. In PA mode, it doesn;t cut base when u lay it down horizontally.

-L2T has very good high frequency definition so good that... kind of opposite of what u need. In many of my patches.. I turn the presence down and eq high out.

Let me know.. I am learning too.

I also have a L2T. and did try to use it with my fender deluxe amp. Here are my advice for using Helix with L2T:

-Make sure u have the right able.. AES 110 ohms.... or the official line 6 link cable

-Set sample rate to 96k. Line 6 informed me that setting to 96k wouldn't affect the cpu. I can hear noticeable diff changing from 44k to 96k

-trim cab base and high freq.

- set in PA mode. In PA mode, it doesn;t cut base when u lay it down horizontally.

-L2T has very good high frequency definition so good that... kind of opposite of what u need. In many of my patches.. I turn the presence down and eq high out.

Let me know.. I am learning too.

I am using the L2T as a floor monitor and i suggest setting it to floor monitor mode. I found it sounded much better when on the floor. PA mode had way to much bass, floor monitor mode specifically lowers the bass freq to account for the close to floor position. It really depends on you and your patches. I have worked extensively on the Helix to get to the sound i want, just takes time to get it all sounding the way you like.