Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

Helix Output Volume Way Too Low

FreeBlues1

I'm brand new to Helix, just plugged it in today.  My issue is the output volume to my powered monitors (KRK VXT8's) is very, very low.  I've got the volume on the monitors turned to max.

On the Helix, the big volume knob needs to be near max to get home volumes I consider to be only a bit too loud.  When I roll off my guitar volume the volume disappears when that knob is below 7 or so.  I have set the channel volume on various patches  to near max, not all that much difference.

I've tried using both quarter inch and balanced outputs to the monitors, have checked the global settings to make sure they are set correctly.

So, if I can barely get home volumes to adequate levels, how will I ever be able to use this at a gig?  Any help suggestions?

Have you updated Helix to the latest firmware yet? Not saying that will necessarily solve the issue but at least you'll have the best starting point for debugging.

You can get the latest software versions by going here:

http://line6.com/software/

Select Helix in the Software field and check the Beta box beside the selection fields. This will let you download an installer file. Run the installer to install the Helix editor, the Line 6 Updater program, and the latest driver.

After installation connect Helix to your computer via usb and run the Line 6 Updater program. This will install the latest firmware on your Helix device.

Have you updated Helix to the latest firmware yet? Not saying that will necessarily solve the issue but at least you'll have the best starting point for debugging.

You can get the latest software versions by going here:

http://line6.com/software/

Select Helix in the Software field and check the Beta box beside the selection fields. This will let you download an installer file. Run the installer to install the Helix editor, the Line 6 Updater program, and the latest driver.

After installation connect Helix to your computer via usb and run the Line 6 Updater program. This will install the latest firmware on your Helix device.

Arghh!

I'm using a Mac, dowloaded Line6HelixDriver1.0.0.dmg, ran the file and now Helix appears in my sound options.  But, I don't see the Installer for firmware updates or the Editor.  (FWIW my Helix shipped with firmware 1.04.03).  Okay, I'm semi-new to a Mac as well as the Helix, but I follow directions well.

Headphone volume is also low, comfortable listening level when set to max.

When you are on the downloads page make sure you select Helix in the Software field - the middle field, not the Products field. Select OSX (if not already selected) and click on the Beta box. You should be presented with Helix version 1.11.1 and a set of instructions. Follow those instructions.

You can ignore the instructions about using your current Helix app to backup your presets. Presumably you don't have any presets yet that need backing up.

You know what I bet it is? Your master volume on the amps are too low. On the amp parameter screen click the right arrow to go to the next set of parameters and crank that thing up.

I ran into the same problem at practice the other night. It was baffling. Had my QSC K10 cranked, gain up, amp vol up. Started fishing around, then noticed the master (which isn't on the front screen---maybe it should be) was on a paltry 3.

You know what I bet it is? Your master volume on the amps are too low. On the amp parameter screen click the right arrow to go to the next set of parameters and crank that thing up.

I ran into the same problem at practice the other night. It was baffling. Had my QSC K10 cranked, gain up, amp vol up. Started fishing around, then noticed the master (which isn't on the front screen---maybe it should be) was on a paltry 3.

Nope, Master set on 10.

I did manage to update the firmware to 1.10.

Hold down footswitches 9 and 10 (middle two on the bottom row) while booting. This will reload all presets and reset all globals. If the volume is still really low with multiple instruments and multiple cables, it very well may be a hardware issue, I'm afraid.

• 1 year later...

I know this is an old post, but I am having the same problem. Low output. I reset everything back to factory default. I have the Helix connected to a JBL LS308 studio speaker with XLR. Using the 1/4" output does not change anything either. The outputs are set to line. Any suggestions?

... Started fishing around, then noticed the master (which isn't on the front screen---maybe it should be) was on a paltry 3.

I agree, the Master volume should be on the first page of the screen along with the Drive and easily accessible. The Ch Vol should be moved to the second page, not a perfect solution but better than the current arrangement.  Additionally I hope the next version of the Helix includes an extra encoder button so that Drive, Master, and 'Ch Vol' can all be quickly adjusted from the same page. This would much more closely emulate the ergonomics of a real amp. A rough analogy in the real world would be an amp that had the master volume situated awkwardly on the back of the amp.

Ideascale submission for this:  

https://line6.ideascale.com/a/dtd/Put-Master-volume-on-the-same-page-as-the-Drive-in-amp-model/788502-23508

I know this is an old post, but I am having the same problem. Low output. I reset everything back to factory default. I have the Helix connected to a JBL LS308 studio speaker with XLR. Using the 1/4" output does not change anything either. The outputs are set to line. Any suggestions?

Use a wooden toothpick and change the recessed Sensitivity Switch on the rear of the JBL LSR308 to the -10dBu position. Set the JBL's volume control to 12 o'clock.

Confirm the Helix's Global Settings > I/O (Page 2) for the 1/4" Main Out and XLR Main Out are each set for "Line" Level. Unless you want to disable Helix's Main Volume Knob for one of those format Main Out's leave it set to Multi on Global Settings > I/O (Page 3).

Use a New (empty) Preset. Slowly increase Helix's Main Volume Knob as you play your guitar with the Guitar Vol Knobs turned up full. If your guitar has active pickups, check the battery.

I have a pair of JBL LSR308, I use for near field. While they can get fairly loud at near field, they do not achieve PA Monitor SPLs!

Use a wooden toothpick and change the recessed Sensitivity Switch on the rear of the JBL LSR308 to the -10dBu position. Set the JBL's volume control to 12 o'clock.

Confirm the Helix's Global Settings > I/O (Page 2) for the 1/4" Main Out and XLR Main Out are each set for "Line" Level. Unless you want to disable Helix's Main Volume Knob for one of those format Main Out's leave it set to Multi on Global Settings > I/O (Page 3).

Use a New (empty) Preset. Slowly increase Helix's Main Volume Knob as you play your guitar with the Guitar Vol Knobs turned up full. If your guitar has active pickups, check the battery.

I have a pair of JBL LSR308, I use for near field. While they can get fairly loud at near field, they do not achieve PA Monitor SPLs!

First thing I Saturday when I bought the Helix LT was flash the firmware. I thought maybe that did not go right so I re-did it and it helped with the volume issue a bit and cleaned up the sound. I connected another audio device to the speaker and while it sounds great the JBL was not very loud. Back it goes to the store. Probably get a Alto and call it done. I was reluctant about getting a PA speaker to begin with because many are rated at 1000 watts and I did not want to blow out the neighbors.

First thing I Saturday when I bought the Helix LT was flash the firmware. I thought maybe that did not go right so I re-did it and it helped with the volume issue a bit and cleaned up the sound. I connected another audio device to the speaker and while it sounds great the JBL was not very loud. Back it goes to the store. Probably get a Alto and call it done. I was reluctant about getting a PA speaker to begin with because many are rated at 1000 watts and I did not want to blow out the neighbors.

1000 watts may sound like a lot, but it really isn't in PA amplified speaker world. Watts to SPL ratio is much different with PA amplification as compared to tube guitar amplifiers. Apples and Oranges.