#1 bigkid

bigkid

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 04:56 PM

Hi all.

I'm serious noob when it comes to pitch-shifting but have decided to have a go at Steve Vai's The Blood and Tears, and a pitch shifter is fundamental to the sound.

I understand that Vai uses a Whammy on the '4th up/5th up' setting, which according to the manual bends the harmony between a fourth (toe up) and a fifth (toe down) above the input note. 

I have a POD HD Desktop connected to my computer and an FBV Shortboard MkII.  I can assign Pitch Glide to the pedal on the FBV using the HD Edit software but have no idea how to translate the Whammy setting described above to the effect settings.  Would appreciate any advice on the settings I would need to achieve this. 

Thanks for the help.

Regards,

Allan

#2 BlueViolince

BlueViolince

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 08:50 PM

The pitch glide works with semitones, which there are thirteen of in any given scale, from tonic to octave. In a major scale, a fourth would be +5, and a fifth would be +7 semitones, or something like that. Just count half steps from your original pitch to where you want the shift to hit. Don't take those numbers to the bank, since I don't know the key or scale of that particular song. The concept is there. So, for the given numbers, min setting might be +5, and max setting would be +7. Start there and play around until you get what you're looking for. Just remember, pitch glide is not intelligent, so it will only give the absolute interval, with no regard for the key or mode you're playing in. That's one reason I gave up on smart harmony pedals, since I shift in and out of modes so much without knowing what I'm doing, as far as theory is concerned.

#3 bigkid

bigkid

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:34 PM

Thanks for that BlueViolince. However, I don't seem to be able to set the max and min values for the expression pedal.  HD Edit only gives me the option to adjust a single Pitch parameter and the Mix, no Max or Min for Pitch.  Can't seem to figure out what I am doing wrong here. :(

Regards,

Allan

#4 bigkid

bigkid

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:50 PM

OK, I think I've got it. Had to fiddle with the controllers settings.

Thanks again BlueViolince.

#5 BlueViolince

BlueViolince

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 03:37 AM

No problem. I assumed the desktop software was similar to the 500, at least as far as parameters were concerned, but I didn't know for sure.

#6 SiCantwell

SiCantwell

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 70 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:28 AM

The pitch glide Exp. Pedal parameters are expressed in percentages instead of intervals, which I find very confusing. 50% is the current frequency or note. I'm not sure what 0 and 100 are, but they're either one octave or 2 octaves down or up. It took me trial and error to set the pitch glide to dive down a fifth (7 half-steps) for one patch.

#7 BlueViolince

BlueViolince

Iknowathingortwo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 12:12 PM

It is? Huh, I guess I should have checked first. Probably an easy way is to set exp-1 to pitch, then make sure the percentage is visible on the screen, and jot down the number when you hit the desired interval, so you can set it as the min or max. I never understood why they would use such non-intuitive values for parameters.

#8 Guitarmaniac64

Guitarmaniac64

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:06 PM

OK, I think I've got it. Had to fiddle with the controllers settings.

Thanks again BlueViolince.

How did you do it??

I have tried to do a patch for that song too but i failed..

Anyway are you gonna put the patch up on "custom tone" or maybe write all the settings here? 

In the song you hear the harmony in the background blended very nicely with the "dry" sound

When i tried tweak the patch i could not reproduce that sound the pitched sound was always way to obviouse compare to Vai:s recorded sound

#9 bigkid

bigkid

Just Startin'

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:47 PM

Sorry Guitarmaniac64.  I'm not even close to the tone yet, I was just reporting success at adjusting the controllers, which was a major hassle. The HD Edit software uses percentages, as pointed out by SiCantwell.  I had to edit the settings on the Bean itself which uses a scale of -24 to +24, setting min and max values as suggested by BlueViolince (+5 and +7).  Quite a pain as I seemed to have some conflict with HD edit which insisted on over-writing my settings!  These settings seem in the ball-park but my control of the effect with the pedal is all over the place.  While I've been playing for years, I have never used a whammy and not sure what I am doing.  Worked on it for a couple of hours yesterday but tossed it in for the time being when I couldn't get close. 

Regards,

Allan

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: pitch shift, vai, the blood and tears

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users