Please ensure Javascript is enabled for purposes of website accessibility Jump to content

choose input globally, not per preset

p8guitar

I have connected a Variax, but I don't want to use the Variax input but the guitar input, because I have some pedals connected before the Helix.

How do I set the input globally to "guitar"? This was very easy with the HD500, but I can't figure it out with the Helix.

There is no global input setting in Helix as there was with the POD HD series. It has to be done per preset.

The default input setting is Multi, which includes Guitar, so that should work for you. If you are not using VDI the Variax input will simply be ignored.

I really do recommend the VDI (Variax) Input, though it is

almost noiseless and it's very easy to build up a FX loop for your pedals!

You can place that loop internally wherever you like, see manual p.29

(in front of anything else, for example ;) )...

• Upvote 1

There is no global input setting in Helix as there was with the POD HD series. It has to be done per preset.

The default input setting is Multi, which includes Guitar, so that should work for you. If you are not using VDI the Variax input will simply be ignored.

Is there a good reason for this, or did they just forget to implement it?

What do you do when you have all your presets programmed with VDI input, and you forget to bring your VDI cable to the gig? Then you will have to change all your presets, one by one.

What do you do when you have all your presets programmed with VDI input, and you forget to bring your VDI cable to the gig? You have to change all your presets, one by one.

Not if you use the default Multi input setting. It includes Guitar and Variax. If you previously changed all presets from the default to Variax then, yes, you would have to change them all again.

If you're worried about this happening to you it might be worthwhile to spend a few minutes during a practice session changing all preset inputs back to Multi.

I really do recommend the VDI (Variax) Input, though it is

almost noiseless and it's very easy to build up a FX loop for your pedals!

You can place that loop internally wherever you like, see manual p.29

(in front of anything else, for example ;) )...

Yes, the VDI input is really great, because you can sit in front of your computer without causing noise by electrical interference.

But don't you get the noise back when you activate the fx loop? I'll have to do some testing.

The advantage of placing the pedals before the helix is that you can easily audition all presets with you pedals without the need to insert an effects loop into every preset.

I can think of a good reason for this.

I will set up some presets by guitar. I have 4 guitars various electronics. Some active, some passive.  

Doing it by preset allows me not to have to change it each time I change guitar, just go to the preset which I would have to anyway.

This being said I think a global override would be beneficial when auditioning different guitars on different presets. But the ability to bypass it to what the selection on the preset is would be... is a necessity if they did this.

....... But the ability to bypass it to what the selection on the preset is would be... is a necessity if they did this.

That's the way it worked on the POD HD series. The preset keep its stored input but this was ignored when the Global Input option was active. As soon as this value was reset to Preset in any one preset, the stored input choice in each preset was used again when presets were switched.

• Upvote 1

That's the way it worked on the POD HD series. The preset keep its stored input but this was ignored when the Global Input option was active. As soon as this value was reset to Preset in any one preset, the stored input choice in each preset was used again when presets were switched.

I never owned a Pod HD, last I owned was Pod X3, then went to Eleven Rack after that.

But this would be a nice implementation to have on the Helix.

Is there a good reason for this, or did they just forget to implement it?

What do you do when you have all your presets programmed with VDI input, and you forget to bring your VDI cable to the gig? Then you will have to change all your presets, one by one.

You could also forget to bring your guitar. Either way that is still not line 6's fault for being forgetful. Helix is freeking amazing and for me, I'm glad it's not another HD xyz clone! Just use another guitar for yer pedals, and switch between them, provided you remembered to bring it. ; )